PDA

View Full Version : 3/18 New rod test

NoSlack
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
The UPS man came through with my new light tackle surf set up, so I had to hit the beach this morning to check it out.

I picked up a Penn Captiva 4000 reel and a 8' 9" ultra light graphite spinning rod this week from a couple of eBay tackle stores.

With the forecast of wind and rain I didn't have my hopes set to high, but I knew it would be better that lying on the couch a watching collage basketball.

Fished Torrey from 6:30 -10 for a hand full of perch.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/New Rod.jpg

Old Blue
03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Sounds like time well spent to me!

How bout some details.

Berkely Gulps?

Sand Crabs?

Shrimp?

Mussels?

6lb line?

How did that sweet little rig treat you?

Ya eatin those perch? How are they?

When we go up north to Cresent City area we usually catch some of the red tail perch up there but I haven't run across one yet that was enjoyable eating for me anyways, although Nathan usually wants some for breakfast at some point. How are the BSPs.

I think the grunnion are supposed to start running soon. Ought to be some flattys in the surf lookin for some nice shiny crocs.

Whatever you do, don't go hoopin!!!!

Nice lookin perch. Hope you had a good time, looks like it.

Brian.

NoSlack
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
First things first, I gave up on hooping right after the first of the year.

For the light tackle fishing I use #6 line with #4 fluorocarbon leader. I rig up with a Carolina rig with a 3 foot leader that gets whittled down to 18" or less buy the end of the day. I use a 1/2 oz egg sinker most of the time unless the surf is pounding, then I may go as heavy as 1 oz.

As far as bait goes, I really like the Gulp camo sandworm. Cut those guys in 3 pieces and thread it on a light wire circle hook or a #2 bait holder hook.

As far as eating goes, I've never kept one so I can't tell you how they taste.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Mike, is that your "Wild Card " slot in the sand?

Bet that 8'9" throws it pretty good, eh?

Moo Fish
03-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Horizontal on the couch will only get ya the "stink eye" from the spouse. "Out of sight-out of mind" is the better approach.

Surf perch is often the "mojarra frito" in Baja. Of course, sneakers can be edible if deep fried in lard, too.

What happened to to Alvey?? The 9ft ultra light surf rod-two piece? E-Bay?

Mike quit hoopin' in January but only after boating 750 bugs!!

rt

NoSlack
03-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Rich

The Alvey is my go to halibut set up for the surf. The past few weeks the water has been so churned up, I left that stick at home.

I picked the rod up on eBay last week.

Osprey Ultra Light "TRC Euro Spin" Spinning Rod Model #: RGK31527

100% Graphite, Length: 8’10”, Sections: 2pc, Line Weight: 5-10lbs, Lure Weight: 1/8 to 1/2oz

And the lobster. Even we had a bad season with just under 200 for a final tally.

Mike