PDA

View Full Version : Repower Tunacious

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:18 AM
#0, Repower Tunacious
Posted by sharkwaters on Nov-10-02 at 07:38 PM

Well, My brother and I took the plunge and repowered the TUNACIOUS. We found a buyer for our Volvo TAMD41A and made a good deal on a YANMAR 240 4LHA-STP. The job took two long weekends and 4-5 hours after work. I want to thank Russ for lending his trailer and for advice on the job. We went with a 1.6:1 gear hoping to use our existing 18 x 18 prop and the decision seems correct. On the initial test run, we got to 3,400 rpm at WOT, which is what it should do. We got 19.6 kts at 3,000 rpm, which is awesome compared to the 13 -15 kts on the volvo. This engine has power, advance the throttle a little and the boats wants to jump. My advice to anyone ordering a new boat should spend the extra green and get a grey motor. We will have a update on the project soon.
Bob on TUNACIOUS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Repower Tunacious
Posted by Tuba8 on Nov-11-02 at 06:49 PM
In response to message #0

Thats Great news guys
Sounds like the prop will work have you loaded her yet (fuel bait tank) and so on I would like to know if you have a change we loose about a knot with a full load

You did an outstanding job I hope we can fish or dive together soon

Let me know if you are planing a trip

Russ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Repower Tunacious
Posted by sharkwaters on Nov-11-02 at 11:09 PM
In response to message #1

Russ, No, we have not loaded her yet. Boatswain locker wanted us to modify the angle of the rear mounts. Basically, we had too much angle and we needed to make a minor change. Its taken a few days to get it right, so we haven't had the boat out since the day we swapped the trailer with you. We hope that the prop will be right, but realize we are down 50 gal of fuel and may have to have a tweak job. We are looking to some buddy boating in the future.
Thanks again for your help.
Bob on TUNACIOUS

#3, RE: Repower Tunacious
Posted by sharkwaters on Nov-17-02 at 02:02 PM
In response to message #2

Russ, I added the dry exhaust riser kit from Boatswain locker, which adds 2 - 4 inches of height to the turbo elbow. I'm waiting on the muffler. Bill and I ran the boat from Dana to Long Beach, to put some time on the engine. With full fuel tank and bait @ 3,ooo rpm, we got 19.3kts. We got 16 kts @ 2,600. There is some turbo whine below 2,800. The Blackman hull gets out of the water at about 17.5 kts, the engine sounds better. I talked to the mechanic and he said we can relocate the shutoff solenoid by moving the entire bracket, switch and all. Just lenghten the wires,+ and -.
See you around.
Bob.