PDA

View Full Version : DSC radio and MMSI numbers

Knot Now
03-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi all:
I just got a radio that supports DSC and MMSI numbers.
Do we have a list of everyone's MMSI numbers?
Phil

NoSlack
03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Last time this subject came up, only a few of us had the DSC/MMSI capable radios. It would have been a very small network of guys working together, so we dropped the idea.

If we're still 50/50 on guys that have it vs. guys that don't, I'm more in favor of picking a random location that we all input into our GPS as a reference point. If you're on a bite and need to call in a buddy, give him your position relative to the predetermined reference point that we all know.

If enough of us have MMSI radios, let's get off our lazy butts and find out what's involved in getting these numbers, and put them to use.

Mike

EDIT:Just went through my owners manual and it does't look like the DSC/MMSID have anything to do with scambling my transmission. I think this is what Phill's goal is. My radio is an Omni by Standard Communication. I need to have a CVS240 voice scrambler card installed in it, and it sounds like only another Standard Com radio with a scrambler card and set up like mine will unscramble the signal. Someone take the ball and run with it on this. I'm clue less about this stuff

EDIT #2Looks like the CVS240 chip will cost me $100-$125 to add to my radio, and that will only let me talk in code to people that have the same brand name radio as I do. I've already lost interest, again.

Time Out
03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Mike you forgot one

Dont have one but plan on getting one before this season

Russ

Knot Now
03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Mike et all:
My radio handbook says if you know the MMSI number of another vessel you can do either of two things that get around the need for a scrambler....

First, you can pole the vessels radio (MMSI #) and the radio will either automatically send out the GPS location or ask the operator to approve sending the location depending on the default settings of the radio....BTW it should also display who is calling i.e. caller ID......

Second, you can make either a "group" or "individual" call that will "ring" the radio being called, display the Caller ID and change the channel to a channel requested by the caller.....No need to use names or channel #s.......
Both of these features sounded pretty cool to me......

I don't have my radio installed or my MMSI number yet

BTW…Boat US has a site to get your MMSI Number (I think it FREE) :D

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/instruct.htm

NoSlack
03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
What brand and model radio did you get?

It sure looks like there is no standard for this type of communication. Every manufacture has their unique way of handling it.

Mike

Knot Now
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Mike,
I got a Standard Horizon Quantum GX3500S from Anchor Express
Looked like a fair deal and I wanted the additional Stations (RAM Mic +) and Hailer.....
Phil

DOGHOUSE26
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Mike ,I have a Standard radio with a scrambler and it's true, you must have the same chip and be on the same frequency with a preset scrambling code. There're OK in a pinch but reception isn't the greatest and your scrambled conversation is still heard but not understandable on the communicating channel by others; it's very annoying. I have DSC on my radio however I thought it was for emergencies only and monitored by the USCG, I haven't hooked it up to my GPS or applied for the MM number yet, it's on my list of things to do. The new thing is the 2 meter radio; 75 watts of power and a ton of channels including VHF if the radio is modified (legal?). Alot of sporties have them and a few of the top marlin boats also. A license is required and I think there are land repeaters on station which allows for long distance calling. Another item on my long list of things to do, bigger wiring feed for the 75w radio and pulling in another antenna cable in my already packed RADAR arch keep me from starting this project.

Russ - Doesn't the radio I gave you have DSC capability?

Knot Now
03-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I found three ICOM videos on DSC radio operations

http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/video/

Emergency

Group Call

Position Request

Everyone should take the time (10 minutes) to review these videos...
Phil

Wizard
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Fascinating information about MMSI radios, but in the end, we aren't that big a group. I hear or talk to about 2 maybe 3 max other Blackman owners on the water even on the busiest weekends. I'm spending my money on other toys for now (or maintenance - hope not).

DOGHOUSE26
03-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Don't start whining Glenn when your other buddies are headed one way and not catching and your other Blackman buddies all headed in a different direction and somehow managed to catch fish on a down day!;)

Wizard
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
LOL... all 6 of us? That's how many have responded to the Poll.

saltwaters
03-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I installed a Uniden UM525 on my boat. This radio is a class D DSC radio. If you buy a radio so you can have DSC capabilities, get one that is a class D radio. The ICOM 602 is a class D. I'm not sure if the new 502x is class D or not. The price on the Uniden is under $200.00 at WM. It has a hailer, is 2-way DSC, has an LCD display and many more features.

The saleman at WM said all of the Coast Guard Auxilliaries are buying the Uniden radio because of the class D capabilities.