PDA

View Full Version : 4/2 onshore report

NoSlack
04-02-2006, 01:25 PM
This was going to be my weekend for getting the boat out and starting the search for those spring time halibut.

The plan was to work for a few hours Saturday, then come home and get the boat ready. Like most Saturdays, a few hours turned into a few more hours and before I knew it, it was getting dark and I was still at work.

I still wanted to get in some fishing this week, so I went with the low impact plan of surf fishing.

I made it up to Torrey Pines just before sunrise to find the surf was much smaller and the water much cleaner that it had been for months.

With a light off shore breeze I knew today would be the day to toss some anchovies with the alvey.

Two or three tosses in and I've got my fist halibut on the avley. Not a monster by any means, but a halibut none the less. I moved up the beach to the next hole where I land one more and dump one on the alvey/chovy combo.

I switched to the spinning rig and started throwing the hard baits for a bit. I landed two more shorts on the Rapala, before working my way back to the car.

Back down the beach by the car is a beautiful hole that I overlooked in the pre-dawn light when I arrived. Back to the alvey/chovy combo for a nice hookup that I farmed just out side the shore break. That was my last chovy so I rummaged around in the backpack for some plastics that I rigged up on a drop shot. Two casts in and I bring Hali #5 up on the sand.

Not a bad morning for a plan B kind of day.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Alvey Hali.JPG

DOGHOUSE26
04-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Water is cleaning up, I think your Pt Loma hole will be going off soon!

yellowfin1
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Sounds fun and relaxing. I love gettingh in a few hours of surf fishing and not having to clean up the boat. All you caught were halibut? I guess the chovies are too big for the surf perch?

Scott

NoSlack
04-03-2006, 03:25 PM
All I targeted was halibut. I take a setup for eack type of fish and Sunday's conditions were perfect for halibut, so i fished for them.

Mike

yellowfin1
04-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Ahh,

I like that. No unintended bycatch. It would be nice if our commercial fishing buddies could be as discriminate as you.

DOGHOUSE26
04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm sure Mike would have thrown a 25# WSB back !