PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Tenacious 19 April

yellowfin1
04-20-2006, 09:31 AM
What a gorgeous day on the water. First attempt was LJ kelp which was just about as dead as it gets (Dead Sea transported to S.D.). No current whatsoever and spotty areas of red tide. Did manage to get a solid hookup on what we believe was probably a BSB but, it broke off. Good thing, didn't want to have to revive it. Moved out to some rocks in 240-300' for absolutely nothing (still no drift at all). Motored down to PT Loma kelp for "you guessed it...nada".

Decided to try S.D. bay since there has been a consistent sand bass bite in there lately. This salvaged the day. Myself and a couple buddies had a blast drifting the channel outside of ballast point. We managed to have a steady pick of decent sized cudas (all releases), 8 sculpin (released), several lizard fish, two short halibut, and one 29' halibut which weighed in (spring scale) at 11.5 lbs. Also released 1 octopus which luckily for Tenacious spewed it's ink next to the boat instead of in it.

Boarded by Coast Guard again and as usual they were very professional and courteous.

All in all a great day. I'll post a pic of the halibut as soon as I can download it from my camera phone.

Scott

NoSlack
04-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Nice going on the halibut. Send in a picture and I'll credit you 36 points.

Even if you sell the boat in a few weeks, 36 points will let you finish 1 point ahead of Charlie in the tournament. ;)

Mike

Old Blue
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I'll know where not to go tomorrow if I need a backup plan. Hope we do as well on the weather.

Brian.

DOGHOUSE26
04-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Good going Scott!

The water from LJ down to Mex has been off color and dead all week; SD Bay has saved my rear many times and until the water warms up constantly above 60-62 degrees along the coast, I don't think butt fishing will be that good. Did you get your keeper on the Zuniga side or the Sub Base side of the channel and how deep?

yellowfin1
04-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Jeff,

The keeper halibut was taken on the sub base side on the drop off (edge of the channel) on an incoming tide along with the two shorts. I just prepared it for the family and it was awesome. Blackened with a garlic/red bell pepper cream basil sauce. Have a good weekend. P.S. Nobody has called about the boat so I will try to keep her. I told myself that as soon as diesel prices hit $3.00 that I would dump her. Diesel is still under $3 at the base but, probably not for long.

Have a great weekend!

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
04-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Scott,

In that case, It's still $1.86 in Mexico so don't give up the ship just yet!