PDA

View Full Version : Saturday-Sunday 4-22 - 4-23

DOGHOUSE26
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
My daughter's college Easter break ended Sunday with a last request of fresh fish tacos before she left so I put in a half day of work Saturday and headed off 5nm west of the jetty to check the little bumps which hold a good quanity of reds from time to time; Dan Muslin and a couple others hit it March 1st but didn't find much and I hadn't had time yet to check them so off i went @ 130PM. One visual pass over my favorite spot produced a little green wad of fish suspended 5-15' above the rockpile which usually means vermillion; I dropped a set of hooks down with sardine strips I got from Knot Now Phil after he came back from fishing, and sure enough bam bam bam 2 reds climb aboard. The first drop yielded a pair of 3-3.5 pounders, the other three drops had reds from 1.5-2.5 pounds so I was off to LJ to troll some macks for WSB by 2:15. Put a 3/4oz slider above a 3/0 hook on a 40# outfit and nose pinned a mack and started slow trolling off Boomer's headed north in 75' of water above the current-laid down kelp forest in gear clicker on. After about 15 minutes I notice a twitch in the rod but no clicker; I checked the rod and actually with the drag backed off all the way it was a little stiff; I reeled in the bait and sure enough crushed with teeth marks right behind the dorsal, a WSB bite and I choked ! Oh well another hour for nothing and headed back in. Sunday Chris and I took our 18 Bayrunner over to SD Bay as we were in the Mission Bay Marlin Club Halibut / WSB tourney; one of my buddies caught a 37# butt on plastic at South Island Saturday so that was going to be hard to beat. We started at 1130 off Scott's location where he took a 12# butt Thursday - just sand bass for us on the outgoing tide. After the tide change @1PM we went inside and caught a 10# and 6# butt; 4 shorts, 4 more bass, 3 sculpin, a 24" WSB and a couple of 24" cudas to round it out. The butts were on North Island less than 30' deep, bass 35-50';
Great day as Chris finished 2nd with his 10# butt and since Mike Bratton on the Scott's Johnny wasn't entered in the side pots, Chris cleaned that out as well so they both won about $125. This week it's tourney time again with the Southwestern Yacht Club's Rockfish Tourney this Saturday; a race between Hijole and I to see who gets on the winning location first; he beat us up last year so payback will be a blessing this time! By the way, another Blackman 26, Dive In with Dan Carlin caught a 39# WSB off LJ Sunday @ greylight drifting a live mackeral. See, the yakkers don't get all of them!

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/500/SD_Bay_4-23-06_-_MBMC_Halibut_Tourney_001.jpg

yellowfin1
04-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Nice report Jeff,

Sorry you missed the WSB. Now You've got me motivated to go give it a try. I am trying to find a break in my busy scheduled to anchor up overnight at LJ and put out my new squid light. Might try to do that Saturday night if WEAX is good.

scott

DOGHOUSE26
04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
My HVAC sub emailed me a party boat caught 100YT at SCI yesterday, and Russ Time Out just confirmed it, 12-14#; he's going to find out which spot off SCI.

hijole
04-25-2006, 10:36 PM
We should see all BOCA members at the Southwestern tourney this Saturday. IF you have never attended it's one of the best things we have going in SD. An all you can eat breakfast and fish dinner for the entry fee. I thinik it's $35 and you get a hat or shirt. If you or the wife don't fish they have a reduced price for the breakfast and dinner and great raffle.
Normally they screw up the rules so if you want to see the Doghouse in a fist fight, take your camera and cold beer to the weigh-in. I stand right bejind him and agree with everything he says.
The competition has been with the local clubs. I'm sure if BOCA members are not in one of these clubs they may accept fishing underr the BOCA flag, but not sure. You don't have to fish for any club, it's up to you.

Who's coming???

yellowfin1
04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Pepe,

Count me out. My 8yr old's first communion will prevent me from fishing Saturday in the day but, I am planning to fish overnight at LJ (Saturday night).

Tenacious

DOGHOUSE26
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I built his house back in 1990. Now that I think about it, maybe you better not mention my name at all!

Mary Magdeline or my old church Our Mother of Crime, both have great Pastors !

Have a great time!

hijole
04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Family first no problem. For people who have not been to one of these functions all I can say is that if you come out even for the food you'll have a good time.
I don't know if I mentioned that about 20 years ago the SWYC served Bloody Mary's in the morning with the breakfast. For free and all you could drink. I filled my thermos and had them in the evening with the dinner. Most hard core fisherman than just had breakfast and stayed at the dock until dinner.

yellowfin1
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Jeff,

Mentioned your name to the pastor and he wants you in church on Saturday for confession. Said he'd set aside an hour or two for ya. Ok not really. I tried to talk him into holding Mass on the boat on Sundays so that I don't have to skip a fishing trip. He wasn't biting.

DOGHOUSE26
05-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Would that be Monsignor Dickie from Mary Mag or Monsignor Sheahan from OMC? I've worked for both gentlemen and they are some of the brighter spots in the Catholic Dioces. I don't think you want to play poker with either of them however, they don't feel guilty getting every last cent out of your pockets and who else but a priest to wear the best poker face ever! As far as confession goes,we could start right now and by the time we finished they would be installing a new Pope and quite frankly I don't think either one of us would feel any better!

yellowfin1
05-03-2006, 08:45 AM
That would be monsignor Dickie who has officially retired but still manages to hold mass every weekend. The new guy is Father Steve who is really cool but, does not like fishing!

I think we could all use a prayer right about now for the good fish to start popping?

DOGHOUSE26
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
AMEN brother!:D