PDA

View Full Version : New Diesel Fuel

hijole
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
I hope I pasted the web site correct so that you can open it. It is from Chevron regarding the new diesel fuel and problems anticipated for us.

http://chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/faq.shtml

yellowfin1
04-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Pepe,

That's very interesting. Wonder what kind of price tag the new diesel fuel will have. I know that there is more important aspects of this radical change like, will it adversely affect my engine! I'm no chemist but, seems that reduced sulfur would equal a less effecient burn?

The facts in the write-up indicate that 1% of engine performance will will be lost (resulting in reduced fuel effeciency) and that fuel "o" rings and seals may also be prone to deteoriation. That doesn't sound too good does it?

Which brings us back to the question how much will it cost?
If the price were significantly lower than maybe it would offset the cost of replacing seals and o-rings. But, realistically speaking if the refineries and fuel stations have to change labels, and change anything in their process we can probably expect to see even higher prices than what we have now.

My thoughts.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I see mucho problemos with 2007 and later engines until they get the bugs out. I guess no more going to TJ and filling up on $1.78 Diesel for the new motors !

hijole
04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
When I rebuilt my injectors (boat) I asked the guy at the shop what I should do about the diesel in Mexico if I took my truck. He suggested taken a 50 gallon drum of US fuel. I couldn't believe it is that bad especially when all those big boats are down there year round. He told me they have the money to repair them, I don't. He recommended changing the oil soon after I returned and hope for the best.

I read somewhere that the fuel in Europe has been the type we are getting this summer without problems. To anticipate potential problems I nominate NoSlack to teach us how to repair the problems in the components that are supposed to be affected. I know he has probably already figured it out anyway and it would be a good reason for an early BBQ.

NoSlack
04-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I read through the Chevron site and came across two statements that got my attention.

The regulations require

1)Model Year 2007 diesel engines will be required to use high-efficiency catalytic exhaust emission control devises (or comparably effective technology).
2)On-highway diesel fuel sulfur levels be < 15ppm starting in June 2006. This statement leads me to believe 500ppm off-road diesel will still be available.

Another interesting statement refers to the red dye.

Non-road (e.g. agriculture and construction equipment) diesel must contain a red dye to identify spills and leaks. Beginning June 1, 2006, non-road diesel is not required to contain red dye when it leaves the refinery gate and may be dyed at the distribution terminal. On-road diesel fuel must not contain this red dye.

I don't see the distribution terminals going to the trouble of adding the dye to the off-road fuel if it's not required. It will be labeled as off-road and could be the same color as road fuel. I can see myself getting easily confused without the dye and putting the off-road fuel in my truck. ;)

Mike