PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot Poll

Mac Attack
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
It's time to bid farewell to my old Benmar Coursesetter Autopilot. It's has been to Benmar in Santa Ana quite a few times in the past two years. Who is running what autopilot, where did you mount it? I have a older 1985 Billfisher without any electronic boxes. How much? Installation?

Thanks Again
Mike
Mac Attack

hijole
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Mine is a Robertson (now Simrad) AP1000 1988 vintage. It has also made several trips to the repair for some electric board stuff. It's matched with hydraulic steering. The AP tells a small electric motor which way to go. It has has some leaks which makes it hard to steer but everything is repairable. I can't remember the cost but I know AP systems are around $2500 and not sure if that includes the steering helm (s) or just the electronics.

DOGHOUSE26
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I have the Simrad (Robertson) AP 3000 model 1995 vintage, mine hasn't leaked however sometimes I think either the motherboard or the compass goes haywire for short periods as the boat will sometimes make sharp "s" turns and sometimes settle back in or I have to restart it and everything is fine. The newer models are AP11 and 14; Charlie put it on the Nomad and loved it! I think they cost around $2000 and they probably get at least $1000 for installation

Knot Now
05-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a Sitex SP-70 cira 1997 I like this unit very much and I think the price is not too bad....On the internet they look to be about 1400...don't know what options you would like/need
Phil

Sleigher
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I also have the Robertson/Simrad unit.
I like mine quite a bit. The magnets broke free in the motor a couple of years ago.
I had to remove the pump and took the motor/pump to a shop that rebuilds forklift motors for us. The cleaned it up and re-glued the magnets. Works like a charm again.

Peter

Wizard
05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I also have the Sitex SP-70. If your steering is really tight, it works good. For the first couple of years I had the boat, the steering wasn't tight (even after $5K spent with a certain repair yard with the initials AMS), and it was hard to tune. The Sitex takes some getting used to adjusting for conditions, but once tuned for the swell direction, I have slept for hours on the way back in, while the co-pilot stared ahead, and come back out to see us splitting the Islands from 70 miles out, hands never touched the wheel.

Nomad
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I have the Simrad (ap11). Worked great on my Billfisher, works great on the Riv

hijole
05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
The leaks in the hydraulic lines are probably not the fault of the AP system we have. Loose fittings and wear are crap. When I have air in the system it's like turning the wheel and little happens. Finding the leak is a challenge. I'm looking for a leak now.
Good topic.

fireescape
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
I purchased the simrad ap16 last season, this has been a problem area for my boat from my puchase. i replaced motherboard,motor,rudderfeed, and cable. runs true at low speeds, and in following seas, but comming back up the line it sometimes gets a mind of its own???? will start to serpetine then go into a Fault setting. hit the standby, staighten the boat out, and back on auto. have been wondering if you guys have the same problem? it gets very frustrating when trolling thanks jeff FireEscape

Mac Attack
05-02-2006, 08:59 PM
My motor(41B) is equipped with a factory power steering pump. When ordering a new autopilot do I purchase one for hydraulic steering ar Cable steering? From what I can tell it's cable steering to the motor, then power assisted from there. Any ideas? The electronics dealer is not quite sure which one I need.

Thanks Mike
Mac Attack

Nomad
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Fire Escape -

There are settings available on the Simrad that affect how the unit repsonds to changes in sea conditions. This adjustment might help fix your problem.

tortuga
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Mike I have the same steering on my 1985, I have the original 40B with 2300Hrs on it . My Benmar has only worked once since I have had the boat ,It made it all the way from Two Harbors to Channel Islands habor and that was that! The replacement I was thinking about is a Simrad AP14R so I can use the remote from down below. I need to get the number off the steering cable and make sure it's compatible, I don't think it will work With all cables. Hope this helps! Don.

Wizard
05-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Mike (Mac Attack)

Call Steve at Blackman's if that is factory and see what they install. Sounds like a crazy setup. My opinion, you would still want hydraulic. I don't know of a cable system that would install in that kind of setup, and the wheel would turn all day when on auto. Most of us, our wheel does nothing, doesn't steer at all if turned, when auto is on (an issue we teach rookies FIRST when we say 'watch the helm while I run downstairs for a sec')

tortuga
05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Glenn that's how my benmar works. the drive motor is under the steering wheel and when the auto pilot is on the wheel turns? .. when it worked! Don.

NoSlack
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you benmar guys need to clean the contacts in the control unit. See an earlier post for a quick how to. http://www.bocaboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227&highlight=benmar

Mike

hijole
05-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't have a Benmar but everyone I know who has one raves as to the reliability. Like NoSlack says clean the contacts. If that doesn't do it the factory is in Garden Grove or Santa Ana and they take care of things fast and cheap price.
For those of us who have hydraulic steering (with a leak) that is the root of alot of problems we may blame on the AP. When I track the leak and fix it my AP is great that's when I stop looking for problems with the AP and look for fluid around the fittings.

Malu Lani
05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Blackman likes the SITEX SP-70 my boat has it and it works great with hydraulic steering.

Knot Now
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Most of us, our wheel does nothing, doesn't steer at all if turned, when auto is on

If you turn the wheel fast on mine, it will override the autopilot, but the minute you stop it goes back to the course set into the autopilot..... Good for fast corrections around sailboats:D Very funny to leave someone steering with the autopilot on. I can also steer the boat with the controller (using the hydraulic pump) with the autopilot in standby......very funny when someone is trying to steer using the wheel....
Phil

chrisc
05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
I also have a Simrad AP11 on my billfisher 26 (sorry, not an outdrive model) and have not had a problem since it was installed (over 3 yrs. now). It even works well in following seas, though I turn it off if I'm doing some serious surfing down swell.

Regards, Chris.