PDA

View Full Version : Trip planning

yellowfin1
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi All,

During the last BOCA BBQ I briefly discussed a trip to Central Baja with some of you. It sparked some interest with Phil (Knot Now) but, it looks as though Phil cannot make the trip this summer. I'm very interested in making this trip and my window has shifted to August. Here's the plan. Depart any day between August 2nd and the 10th. Top off on fuel in Ensenada then motor down at approximately 10 knots to Cedros Isl or just go straight to Bahia Tortuga for fuel. After refueling I plan to fish Chester Rocks, Ranger Bank, and of course Cedros Isl for a few days. If the South swell is good I also plan to surf Isla Natividad at least two days. Will need to refuel at Tortuga prior to returning. I need to return prior to the 20th of August. I won't do this trip unless there is another boat along for the safety.

Any takers?
Scott

Knot Now
05-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Scott,
I am still interested....I just can't commit because of the blow-up at work and scrambling to put something back together to keep us employed. My partner will be going to China in August, so I still hope to be able to go in August
I hate not being able to commit until late July. I would really like to be the third boat, so if I have to drop out the trip will continue…

I will be on vacation in Reston, Virginia through June 11

Phil

yellowfin1
05-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks Phil,
I hope it all works out with your job. I know that the first priority has to be securing an income and future. I've been reading up alot on the area and am getting more excited by the day. I just read an article about a gent who completed a trip from Los Angeles CA to Cabo on a panga! Very limited supplies and he stopped every nightr in a different port along the way. He was fortunate enough to score good weather for his entire trip.

Anyone else interested please jump in here and let us know so we can begin planning.

Scott

yellowfin1
05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Here’s what I’m thinking for the upcoming trip.

- Depart about 2 August 0800 from San Diego after good review of WEAX forecasts (any tropical lows)?
Arrive Ensenada about 1500 (after a little fishing enroute)….Top off on fuel, fill extra containers (30 gal worth), get a slip, eat dinner/drink, sleep. Another AM weather review.
Aug 3 - Depart Ensenada 0600 with a 10 knot SOA (280 NM to Isla Cedros)
Aug 4 - Early afternoon arrive at Isla Cedros, anchor for the night or enter Bahia Tortuga in afternoon for fuel.
Aug 5 - Fuel, if not done on the 4th. Venture to area of Chester Rocks/Isla Natividad for a quick surf and some big yellowtail searching. Anchor at Isla Cedros overnight.
Aug 6 - Scout/fish Isla Cedros for big yellowtail and calico bass. Anchor overnight.
Aug 7 - Enroute to Ranger Bank (approximately 35 NM) Troll/fish paddies for YFT, BET, BFT, Yellowtail, marlin, and possible wahoo?. Return to Cedros to anchor overnight.
Aug 8 - Fish/surf swell dependent, fuel at Tortuga (if needed).
Aug 9 - Fish/surf swell dependent, fuel at Tortuga (if needed).
Aug 10 - Fish Cedros, fuel at Tortuga (Top off/fill reserve tanks). Anchor overnight at Tortuga or Cedros.
Aug 11 - 0600 transit north @ 10 Knot SOA enroute Ensenada (Possible anchor at Isla Geronimo overnight)
Aug 12 - Continue enroute Ensenada for fuel/slip. Possible anchor at San Martin Isl.
Aug 13 - Arrive Ensenada around noon. Overnight slip/pool, Jacuzzi, dinner, drinks, celebrate victory!
Aug 14- 0800 Fuel, then enroute San Diego/U.S. Customs.
Or Bust!

This schedule has some flex built into it to account for WEAX and options to anchor overnight during transits. Also accounts for possible no fuel days at Tortuga. It would be nice to have at least 4 solid days to dedicate to fishing the Cedros/Benitos area without worrying about fueling, etc. We could depart later than the 2nd if weather is not good but, the overall timeline should be close.

Supplies:
- Water (for drinking/bathing, etc) 15 gal?
- Vegetables (carrots, canned beans, corn, onions, potatoes, etc.)
- Peanut Butter/Jelly
- Bread
- Juice
- Coffee
- Toilet paper
- First Aid kit
- Cooking oil
- Spaghetti sauce/pasta
- Seasonings
- Snacks/jerky/junk food
- Coleman stove/propane canisters
- Stuff for trading with local kids/fishermen, budweiser beer, cigarettes, t-shirts?
- Pot/pan/utensils
- Flashlights
- Handheld GPS (Lou, do you have one?)
- Tool kit (already have)
- Engine oil (3 gal?)
- Deck chairs
- Surfboards (2)
- Toiletries
- Pillows/blankets
- Trunks/jeans/sandals/Tshirts/sweatshirts
- camera
Fishing:
Outriggers
4 Trolling rods total (40-50lb)
4 bait sticks total (2 x 25lb, 2 x 40lb)
2 bait catching/calico fishing rods (20lb?)
Gaff
Lotsa jigs and trolling feathers
Lotsa sabiki rigs
Good assortment of torpedo sinkers for dropper loop yellows/Sea bass
Extra line

Just placed my order for an EPIRB (rental) for 1Aug-21Aug. Next I’ll be researching life raft rentals.

I plan to get the following spare parts together over the next couple months:
- Impeller (2) already have 1 spare
- props (have them but they need some welding/tuning)
- anchor/rode/line
- alternator belts (already have)
- fuses for radar/plotter/FF
- fuel filters (3)
- miscellaneous nuts/screws/washers

Wow, I feel like I need a bigger boat already.

Any thing that I left off which is a must?

Thanks,
Scott

Professor
06-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Now this is my kind of trip. Other than a stinking full moon which makes bait catching difficult and the surfing part it sounds excellent and my calendar has been looking for something in that time frame that had to do with fishing. I’ll get back to you this weekend.

Malu Lani
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
If you break down how do you get repairs down south.Are you on your own or is there towing in mexico.

Professor
06-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Scott,

Add to List 100' of rope suitable for towing.

DOGHOUSE26
06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Yale,

Are you out of the shop yet?

I'm heading out on a 4 day aboard the American Angler on August 19th, otherwise I would consider it. It sounds like a great trip, hopefully the more the merrier!

yellowfin1
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks Yale,

100' of tow line. Got it. I figure the extra anchor/rode.line will take care of that. Since I'm such a white guy, I will also pack alot of sunscreen as well.

Would like to have the Patron along if you can swing it.
My crewmamber is telling me that his wife is drawing the line at 10 days. If that is true, either I'll need another crew or skip the luxurious overnighters at Hotel Coral.

Malu Lani,
Love your boat's name.
If you have no other boats in your convoy then I guess you are on your own. I'm not aware of any on the water tow services in the areas south of Enesenada. I try to put it into perspective like this:
Go on the adventure of a lifetime, take as many precautions as you can to mitigate unnecessary risks, and plan well. If something happens where you'll need assistance, keep a straight head and wait for the help. Passing long range boat, panga, USN, whatever. If you've got an EPIRB and experience a breakdown that you cannot resolve then activate the EPIRB. I would consider a breakdown in the middle of nowhere an emergency justifying the EPIRB.
Looking at the new GARMIN plotter/XM receiver which gives you music, continuous weather updates, and more. It is a little pricey though ($1200 ouch).

Thanks for the inputs,
Scott

Wizard
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Sounds very compelling. If I don't end up on my Marlin tournaments this year, I will have the extra vacation days to swing this. Just need a crew and boat in shape by then.

Side note: Don't bother with that XMRadio WX option, They want $29.95 a month for the base service (more for Master Mariner). It's not part of the standard $12.95 a month XMRadio service (I just installed on my boat). Not worth it for a private boater.

XM WX Package Name:
Fisherman
Sailor
Master Mariner

Subscription Pricing (monthly)
$29.99
$29.99
$49.99

One-Time Activation Fee
$50
$50
$50

Professor
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Scott,

PM me with your email so I can send you my thoughts on the trip. Cutting the trip shorter makes it more of a boat ride than a fishing, surfing and relaxing trip.

There is another alternative for your crew member. He could get a new wife. :D

Having an “I absolutely must be home” time limit on a trip like this is tough. Mother nature may tell you that the trip is going to take a few days longer than you anticipated and I don't like arguing with her.

Nomad
06-04-2006, 08:08 AM
I would also recommend a satellite phone. You can rent them and will come in handy in an emergency.

Professor
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
I've got a sattelite phone. Good for emergencies and calling home to say I love you, but I'm going to be late.:)

Professor
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Jeff,

Still in the shop. Waiting for my downriggers to get here so we can set them up correctly. The big items were a new lower unit and lowering some of the non self priming pumps in the bilge. Lowering the pumps was a big task. Should finish the yard stint by the end of next week and then I have a couple of weeks work before I can splash her. Also went LED on the anchor light, one deck light and all the cabin lights.

Knot Now
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Yale,
It might be too late, but IMHO the 1:78 ratio is a better (stronger) unit....
need to change to A3s if you have a 41.
Phil

yellowfin1
06-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Glenn,

Let me understand this. The Standard XM service includes music only?
The Weather options are offered on all other upgrades? (Fisherman, Marine Mariner, Cruiser?)

Have you tried the weather option and if so were the weather updates continuous like they claim? Just seems like it would be a real good idea to have that weather capability in the Cedros area in August. Maybe the short duration trip I'm planning doesn't really require it if we get a good look at the weather prior to departing.
Scott

Professor
06-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info Phil but the new unit is already installed. The problem was seals as a result of a long line in the prop.

With a satellite phone you just need to have somebody that can assess weather reports and terrafin charts thats willing to do so and give them a call.

Wizard
06-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Standard XM service is just the music/sports/etc.. not that weather option. That weather option is expensive, as I listed above. No idea the quality of the reports, I don't have and won't get the weather option.