PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:25 AM
#0, Upholstery
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Jul-24-03 at 07:21 AM

It's time to replace my bench seat upholstery. I've got it in my truck today and plan to get three quotes on re-doing the cushions. I can't look at that old beat up vinyl anymore. Do any of you have any suggestions on where I can get a quick turn-around (4 days) or at a fair price in the local area? Charlie, didn't you just get some work done not long ago?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Upholstery
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Jul-24-03 at 09:43 PM
In response to message #0

Al Melone in downtown SD was the original supplier; expensive but top of the line quality and stands behind his work and that's why Don uses him. His brother Bob just re-sewed my bimini at no charge after 5 years of hard service. Jims Upolstery off Convoy is cheap and does great work with a fast turnaround; just be sure to specify marine grade material.
You wouldn't repower with OMC, would you?

Just Kidding, I guess since your rear end is the only thing that has to look at it that close all the time, why bother and besides it only has one eye anyway!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Upholstery
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Jul-25-03 at 08:11 AM
In response to message #1

Doghouse,
You crack me up! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check with Al on the upholstery. My butt thanks you.

#3, RE: Upholstery
Posted by Nomad on Jul-26-03 at 02:56 PM
In response to message #0

Bob at Al Malone did the Nomad and I was real pleased with his work.
Charlie

#4, RE: Upholstery
Posted by Captn_Hook on Aug-01-03 at 07:27 AM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-03 AT 07:30 AM (PST)

With all do respect to Al Melones business. I think the quality and workmanship is terrible. I know he does the work for Don and sponsers the SD Marlin club but jeeeez! everytime I get something done there it is just crap and ends up going back. No wonder he fixs stuff for free (at least that is what is promised). For instance, I have an eisenglass encloser he made. I wanted a zipper down window installed in it. I took the time to draw out the outline for the window with a grease pencil and took it down. They returned it to me with a nice zipper down window...ON THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE END! of the markings. MAN! are they blind and deaf? They also stiched up my cover and put in a new zipper. Bob says "oh yea garranteed for life" free of charge to fix. I pick it up he says 50 bucks! I say "I thought it was free of charge for a repair. He says it is but I have to charge you for the parts (1 plastic zipper) I dont think a plastic YKK zipper costs 50 bucks.OK so I pay the man and put the cover on the boat. The stitching is so crooked you would think they dusted a sixer before working on it. Oh well just venting because I have to go there today and deal with it all over again. Oh yea, one more thing. He quoted me 100 bucks to redo the little bench cusion on my blackman 20 and that was using my existing foam. RIP! I declined. Good luck with your dealings but I would use caution or find a new source. DM. By the way, OMC was probally a better run company.