PDA

View Full Version : Cedros/Benitos Island trip set

yellowfin1
06-13-2006, 08:47 AM
It looks like the trip dates are firm. Departing August 6 and returning August 17. Tenacious and Patron will be fishing the waters of central Baja. We would welcome any additional boats if anyone is interested.

I'm hoping to get a little help from the club with one item. I need to tote along an additional 40 gallons of fuel and I don't have any fuel bladders. As of now I have several 5 gallon plastic fuel containers but would prefer to borrow or purchase some containers that are between 10 and 15 gallons each. Do any of you have any of these containers you could sell or let me borrow?

Thanks much,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
06-13-2006, 09:11 AM
What about a plastic 50 gal drum ?

yellowfin1
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Jeff,

I'm not sure where I would put the 50 gal drum on deck? Have you used it before? Where did you place it?

Thanks

DOGHOUSE26
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I haven't used them for fuel, I use them for water on desert trips. They are used Coke Syrup Barrels $25 each off Morena Blvd & Sherman St. I would possibly make a curved rack with 2 skids to lay it down on and tie it up securely on the foredeck over the cabin hatch similar to where guys put their emergency raft case. Just a thought, however that's 300# minimum and it would wreck havoc with your railings if it got loose!

yellowfin1
06-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Jeff,

Thanks but, I don't think that I could manage that kind of weight centered in one spot. Especially, like you said if it got loose there would be some trouble.

I'll keep looking. I prefer either bladders (which could be easily stowed after using or plastic containers which I could distribute evenly for weight/ballast.

Knot Now
06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Scott,
I am 90% sure Knot Now will make the trip. I have a crew member lined up and ....

you might try Labe Safety for your container....
Most likely their price will be HIGH, but it will give you some ideas...

http://www.labsafety.com/search/default.htm?x=22&y=10&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartialmax&Ntt=Tight%2DHead+Polyethylene+Pails&N=539+4294951413&Ntk=LSSSearch&dept_id=10936

Phil

hijole
06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I have 6- 5 gal plastic containers. I use them for diesel for the boat when I don't want to tow to a station.
You are welcome to use

Wizard
06-14-2006, 12:05 AM
I am interested in this trip, if I can get my regular crew and I don't get invite to my Marlin fishing tournaments this year... I'l keep watching for updates here.

yellowfin1
06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Pepe,
Thanks for the offer. I also have the 5 gallon containers and if I can't come up with a little better solution than having 6 or 8 five gallon containers spread out around the boat then that will be my solution.

Phil/Glenn,
Glad you are both interested. Please let Yale and I know how things pan out for you being able to make the trip with us.

Yale and I have met to discuss and plan and we are in agreement that the trip should focus on fun and relaxation and not push too hard to get there fast. With boats loaded we will probably be cruising less than 10 knots (trolling speed) from Ensenada to the Cedros area. This means probably anchoring at San Martin and then again at Isla Geronimo and including some inshore fishing for calicos and yellowtail.

Scott

Nomad
06-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Just got back from, a 5 day on the independance. First stop was Guadalupe, nothing going there. Few rats and calicos but it was clear the Lupe was not the answer. Thank goodness the skipper made a quick call to cut and run and head to Cedros/Natividad. After a long run we joined the Royal Star chasing bird schools inside the South end of Natividad. We hit a nice grade of yellows in the 20 Lb range that loved the iron. We then ran up to Cedros for some nice 30-50 lb class yellows and a nice halibut that went close to 40. Worked that routine for the better part of the day and then motored up and inside of Cedros. Found a nice cove that put out some home guards at dusk. Hit my personal best with a 38 pounder. Seas were lumpy with 30 knot gusts and 15 foot swells according to the skipper. Pictures on the way, going to bed.

Professor
06-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I use 15 gallon short drums for my extra diesel. On the Patron the water heater and water maker are in the fish hold. In that configuration I can put three of them in the fish hold. Without the water maker four can go in the fish hold. The drums cost $34 each including tax and license.

Professor
06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
My number two skipper (actually he is a much better skipper than I am:D ) just confirmed that he’s on for the trip so we’re in the “unless a major catastrophe happens” we’re good to go mode. If anybody wants some of the 15 gallon drums let me know.

DOGHOUSE26
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
are a great idea ! Not too heavy to move around if needed and probably small enough to leave on the deck in route. What is their approximate physical size ?

Professor
06-28-2006, 05:55 PM
The following are the fuel containers I use on the Patron.

For containers for the fish hold I use a 15 gallon container that is 22.5” tall and 16.5” in diameter. With the hot water heater in the fish hold I can fit four of them in the hold. If I’m really looking for range I add one other 14 gallon container on the deck that is 22.5” tall and 16.5” in diameter. This container is tall enough that it can be attached to the rail on the deck and is small enough in diameter that it can be stored under the fly bridge when empty. One advantage of using these containers over a bladder is that if you have to go to town to get fuel you have your containers. I use a vane pump to pump the fuel to the main tank. I use the same pump to change my oil. I’ve had to much trouble with impeller pumps. Hope this helps.

Wizard
06-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Could you provide us with the make/model of the vane pump you use? Had trouble with other pumps, and still looking for something that will do my oil and possibly fuel.

Professor
06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
All my boat stuff is packed in cubic yard boxes right now but I’ll be getting at it next week and I’ll get you the information. Impellers that will work with both fuel and oil seem top be a fictional item and I don’t need to carry two pumps on the boat.

Al Gagnon
06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Let me know if you are interested in 55 gal plastic drums. Al