PDA

View Full Version : Windlass?

Sleigher
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi guys,
My windlass took a dump on me last week. The motor works but the drum stopped turning. I am in the process of pulling it apart to try and fix it but I'm thinking it might be time to replace.
What kind is anyone/everyone using?
I think I am stuck with the horizontal, non-self tailing, capstan style, because I don't want to cut a bunch of holes in the deck.
The one I have is a Powerwinch. The only one I've been able to find that is close to the existing is a Powerwinch 1000.
As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

yellowfin1
06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Peter,

I'm in the same boat as you. I also need to replace mine and have found that the only model out there which I could use without drilling several holes appears to be the Lewmar power winch 1000. I priced them at West Marine and also at the Marine Exchange. Surprisingly the thing was more expensive at the Marine Exchange even with a commercial account (over $800) where as West Marine has it listed at $699 before taxes. I was hoping to see it go on sale soon. Maybe we could geta two for one deal somewhere?

Scott

Sleigher
06-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Scott,

This is the one I am considering http://www.anchorexpress.com/p77099.html.

I didn't see a Lewmar that would work. Most have a drum and a chain pulley. I just need the drum.

Peter

Sleigher
06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
The motor in my old unit snapped the shaft. Which isn't surprising considering that it necked down to 1/4 inch.
I found another unit on ebay but it only had a listed pull of 600 lbs so I pulled the trigger on the Powerwinch.
Scott, If you know what is wrong with your winch maybe you can use the parts from mine to make yours work.
I'll give it to you. You save: $569.00 Everything in mine was in good shape except the motor shaft. It really is pretty cheap. Looks like a trailer winch inside. The motor is held in place with hose clamps. But, it has worked for something like 11 years so it can't be that bad.

Peter

yellowfin1
06-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Peter,

After posting the comment about the PW 1000 being made by Lewmar I realized that the unit I was referring to was not made by Lewmar. The one I was thinking of was the same as the one in the link which you sent to me. I have been without a winch for about 3 years now. Mine was very similiar to the PW 1000. It was completely rusted inside. Finally I was attempting to pull the anchor up with a healthy dose of kelp on it when the frame (housing) disintegrated. I appreciate the offer on yours but, I think I will take the plunge and purchase the new 1000. I'm just waiting for a good sale price.

Thanks,
Scott

Sleigher
06-20-2006, 09:09 AM
That link I sent you seemed like a pretty good price. $543.99 No tax and the shipping was only $20.
I ordered mine but I received an email this morning that it is now on back order and could be a few weeks. Luckily I don't need it to go tuna fishing.
Now I just need some tuna.

Good luck,

Peter