PDA

View Full Version : 9 mile bank to the 302 7/26

yellowfin1
07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Mike was over my house on the weekend and I think we caught the same bug, as I was feeling under the weather yesterday as well. Of course the only cure is to get out on the ocean. Left at a lazy 6:AM and got a great 1/2 scoop of mixed dinos and choves. The bait stayed green all day despite the areas of 75.5 degree water. The 9MB looked good but no jig strikes and no paddies but, lots of porpoise with meter marks deep. Trolled to the south part of the Kidney bank and found a small paddie with acres of YT 6-12 lbs. Dinos and choves worked but, the fish seemed a bit hesitant. They were foaming on some small bait fish. The bite shut down when a large splash followed by a lot of thrashing ended the bite and chased the fish away (large Mako?). The next Paddie near the 302 was also small but held the same type of action. It also slowed when dad realed in half of a yellowtail. The Mako (est 100lbs) came to the boat and I baited it with a YT belly which it immediately inhaled. Unfortunately, I didn't have a steel leader onboard so it didn't last long. Dad wanted a dorado so on we trolled and at the north end of the 302 he got his wish. The fish ate a BLK/GRN Zuker 3.5 on the rigger. Got one more jig strike in the area which turned out to be a small YFT but, it swam free at the side of the boat. The rest of the ride into LJ was uneventful except for a blue whale and lotsa big meter marks down near 100'. Finished off at LJ while cleaning the fish dad got one more 8 lb. YT and a few cudas. All jig strikes came on the blk/grn lures. Purple/Blk didn't get touched.
Nice day on the water with dad with a good hamachi and Mahi with mango/papaya salsa late dinner.
Dorado weighed 16 lbs and is posted on the tournament page.

Scott

NoSlack
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Nice going on the dorado. Looks like the right call working out past the 9. There isn't enough kelp on the 9 to make a bologna sandwich.

The boat looked great with the new threads and I'll bet paddy spotting was a lot easier with the new windows.

Mike

Scott's new threads.
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/512/Scott_s_top.JPG

hijole
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Good story. I went out Saturday and ate it with bad water conditions.
Good to hear you guys had a good time.

DOGHOUSE26
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Great report Scott, I was hoping someone would nail the dodos! Glad you could do it with your dad, he must be stoked!

Pepe where have you been? I was afraid you got caught in the running of the bulls or something!

yellowfin1
07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Yah,
The strataglass is awesome as is the canvas. Mike did an outstanding job as usual. Is there anything that guy cannot do (besides catch a WSB)? No but, seriously thanks again Mike!

Big trip is coming up! Can't wait. Just hope that the Tropical storms stay away.

Anybody willing to be the person who can receive our satellite calls every couple days to provide WEAX and temperature break information between about 7 and 15 Aug? I would anticipate evening calls where Yale and I would ask for SST, WEAX, and even chlorophyll info. We will be calling via satellite phone.

Thanks,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I would be more than happy to help in any way I can, however I will be on a 4 Day aboard the American Angler Aug 19-23

yellowfin1
07-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the help. It will be nice to have someone with your knowledge checking the stuff for us. Can you PM me the phone number that you'd like us to call you at. Oh BTW, Yale and I will get together for dinner onenight next week to discuss preperations and stuff. If your free there is a free dinner in it for you.
Thanks again,
Scott