PDA

View Full Version : 8/11 to 8/13 Morro Bay

NoSlack
08-13-2006, 12:47 PM
I wish this was a first hand account of how good the fishing is up there, but the best I can do is pass along what I saw while drowning my sorrows is the local waterfront pub.

I was up in Morro Bay over the weekend as the official driver for the Hearst Castle trip that my wife and daughter wanted to take. It wasn't exactly what I had planned for the weekend, but sometimes you just got to take one for the team. They did allow me to select the hotel we stayed at so I picked one with a nice spa and within walking distance of Virg's landing.

As I'm sitting in the pub watching Davis boat after Davis boat come in with sacks of rock I begin to daydream how nice it would be to have the boat and get in a little fishing myself. I could almost picture myself coming down the harbor with my own sack full when the wife snaps me out of my trance with a sharp elbow. "Hey isn't that your boat" she said. Sure enough it's one of the frat boy from the class of "81". The "Scampi" popped out of the mold 4 hulls before I did back in early "81". The owner who's name I can't remember "being it's been more than 12 hours since we talked" lives in the Visalia area and frequents the Morro bay area as well as Monterey. I mentioned the web site and club and told him we would live to get some first hand reports from the central cal boys.

I asked the wife for a 5 minute haul pass so I could go down to the ramp and see how fishing was. It looks like rockcoding is good with a nice mix of fish and a very short ride to the zone. On that day they fished just 2 1/2 miles out.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/509/Scampi.jpg

Time Out
08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Mike great report I wish we could have seen the fish I have fished in Morro Bay many time the weather is great or very bad nothing inbetween I hope this guy gets involved and starts posting its always been in the back of my mind to make that trip in a blackman someday.

Russ

NoSlack
08-13-2006, 03:14 PM
After talking with the guys up there, it's really renewed my interest in getting a newer diesel truck and taking some trips farther from home.

If those guys can make the 3 hour drive from Visalia on a regular basic, we should be able to make that trip up that way once a year.

There looks like plenty of option when it comes to accommodations. Plenty of motels within a block of the bay and an RV park a couple blocks from the water that they were staying in. I don't know if they leave a rig there during the summer or one of the crew brings the RV along for the long weekend.

Mike

Time Out
08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Mike did you get a chance to talk to the guys about the catch or did your pass expire?? size and type

Russ

By the way I have a 4lbs 7oz Calico for the board pickture to follow

NoSlack
08-13-2006, 05:30 PM
On my short visit with the guys with the Blackman, they indicated they were catching a nicer grade of fish. On the second evening when I visited the cleaning station at the ramp, the guys I spoke with seemed a little less seasoned on the rockcoding.

They had a mixed bag of reds, coppers and some other assorted fish. I quizzed them on the names and got a shoulder shrug, so their knowledge of were to fish may have been as limited as their knowledge of what they were catching. I did see one big red in the pile to go with the average 2-3 pound fish.

Mike

p.s. I put you down for the calico. If you guys can fill the marlin slot we'll have a new high water mark of 500+ points to shot for. Don't get sloppy on sending in the pictures. I'd hate to see Charlie pull the rug out from under you at the BBQ.

Time Out
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I posted the photos of the Maco Dodo and yellow the calico is on my daughters camera shes hard to pin down

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
08-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I posted the photos of the Maco Dodo and yellow the calico is on my daughters camera; shes hard to pin down:eek:

Russ

Spoken like a true man from Arkansas!

I'd love to trailer my Blackman up to Bodega Bay in the fall for Albies and King Salmon; My daughter goes to school close by @ Sonoma State and I've been down to the ramp and campground and gotten the scoop from the locals. It really makes you appreciate how lucky we are to be so close to the water and great fishing!

Wizard
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I lived 40 minutes from the Bodega Bay launch ramp, Novato in Marin County. I know the area well and it's one of the only things I miss about the bay area. Bags of Blacks and Blues were almost too easy. Dungeoness crab in season, Salmon fishing, and Abalone diving. Crabalone BBQ feasts like you wouldn't believe.

pumphouse
08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
If you guys need any info from up North or a place to leave the boat for a weekend shoot me an email at c_ludington@yahoo.com or call me at 209-769-2649. I am a former blackman owner that checks out the board now and then and I fish mainly from Carmel North to the Farallon Islands. I know the areas real well and all are welcome to pick my brain or come fishing whenever!!