PDA

View Full Version : Bait pump

Knot Now
08-26-2006, 02:46 PM
My Jabsco Centri-Puppy bait pump (all bronze) started leaking...lasted a little over two years, unfortunately the Centri-Puppy has been discontinued.

Is Jabsco centri-puppy the standard Blackman bait pump? (inlet and outlet at right angles to each other...needs to be mounted below the water line.)

I decided to buy their new stainless steel replacement the "cyclone" water pump (same connections and mounting location). I also bought a new Centri-Puppy seal - about $12. I have two centri-puppy pumps that were working, but leaking when they were removed-one has a noise in the motor which still runs - something loose inside. I think I have the parts necessary to build a good pump, but I am going with the "Cyclone" and was wondering if any of you need spare parts or?

Phil

DOGHOUSE26
08-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Whatever you do do not get the Groco equivalent! I did when the Cyclones were not available in stock; the Groco connections are a little different which raises the level of the pump which causes flow problems every time you go in reverse. Pain in the butt and about as quiet as a 3/4 horse garbage disposal!

Stay with the Jabsco

Phil are you fishing tomorrow? We're getting a late AM start, my 30yr reunion tonight at the Gaslamp might need some Alka Seltzer Sunday AM!

Knot Now
08-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Don't think i am fishing this weekend. I will be installing the pump. My old pump airlocked when I went into reverse, but the air bubbles made their way out and it started pumping most of the without any problem.
If the cyclone does better, I will be very happy.
Phil

Knot Now
08-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I put the new Jabsco cyclone pump in today. When I first turned the pump on the water was spraying out the bait tank 1-2 feet. OMG. Cleaned out the defuser in the bottom of the tank and everything is fine. This cyclone pumps much better and you can't hear it run at all without opening the engine hatch.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the centri-puppy parts I have left over. I was hoping someone could use them for FREE, otherwise they are going in the trash.

Phil