PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a bent rail?

Sleigher
08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi All,
While pulling up to the receiver Friday one of my passengers put the dock line around the cleat and over the rail. I didn't realize what he had done till the boat lurched to starboard and I heard some strange noises and heard the squeeks from the other passenger(more experienced).
Anyhow, now I have a bent rail and a gash in my gel coat up near the bow.
It's not kinked or extreme, maybe a bend of 1/2-3/4 inch.
I'm planning on making a clamp using 4x4 and structural channel to squeeze it straight again.
Has anybody tried to straighten a rail before?
Any thoughts on my clamp idea? I'll be using 1/2 bolts to squeeze it together. I wasn't planning on using any heat for fear of destruction.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Peter

Moo Fish
08-28-2006, 03:15 PM
You may have to apply some heat to get the pipe to "relax". Otherwise, the pipe may have some rebound back toward the bent position.....rt

Wizard
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
If you want it right, going to have to get someone to replace that section. Even a small section can be replaced seemlessly. Not cheap, but bending it back will only disquise some of it, not make it perfect. I have a bend and good kink on an upright, thanks to the Customs go-fast boat, that I still haven't had repaired, because of the cost.

scuttlebutt
08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
If customs did it why didn't you file a damage report against them?

Sleigher
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm going to give it a try this weekend. It isn't kinked but it bothers me to the point of distraction.
If I can bring myself to it I will take some before and after pictures.

Peter

scuttlebutt
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I went down to see how my boat is doing and I talked to steve about this bent rail problem. He fixes them all the time and said it is no big deal. If anybody wants it done right I suggest taking boat down to him and let him do it. If it breaks then he will replace it. I wouldn't suggest taking anything down to him now though as he is swamped and way behind schedule. Just ask me. My boat was supposed to be ready end of June. Looks like end of Sept. now. Just hoping it will be ready for the Make-a-wish tournament.

Wizard
08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
If customs did it why didn't you file a damage report against them?

I did, they bent the rail, pulled some screws out of the fiberglass, broke an antenna. But I think I spent that money (and more) on a new outdrive that year, or something. So much money in maintenance, I forget.

scuttlebutt
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
OK. I get it. Rail can wait. Use money to fix more important things. Did you have any problem with customs in filing the claim? By the way, has any of you that are still original owners have the rails put in a little higher? I'm thinking of doing that before he gets to that part. Has anybody had any problems with the sides and rails being to low while fishing or in rough weather?

Moo Fish
08-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Having lurched across the deck of a 23', a bigger rail and a toe rail would add at least a sense of security......rt

Sleigher
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
If I were doing my rail today I would go with one inch tube and I would definitely opt for functionality.
It might look a little funny having a tall rail all the way down the side of the boat (from the house to the bow) but it would make you more comfortable following a hot fish.
I would also add a toe rail. It's amazing how hooking your toes improves your balance.
If I end up keeping my boat I will definitely be adding a toe rail.

Peter

NoSlack
08-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Peter

If you decide to call in a stainless guy, give my Bro in-law Dan a call. He's mobile and does the best I've ever seen. I'm not saying that just because his sister is a hotty and been putting up with me for 16 years.

He does all Mikelsons Yachts aftermarket stainless work, if you need references.

He can be a grouch so tell him " bro in-law Mike sent you his was". That should get you off on the right foot. He's a 1 man shop so he may be backed up as well.

Dan at DanFab 619 477-1145

Mike

scuttlebutt
08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for input. Will talk to Steve about it again. When I first ordered boat I mentioned to him about the rails. I said I would like them a little higher. He said he would make them any height I wanted. After climbing aboard some of those in the yard, I felt like a would fall over the side if I took any swells at all. He said he makes them standard height unless ordered otherwise. I'll see if he does toe rails. Stern rails would remain same but sides from cabin to stern I may raise up. Or again may raise port and st'bd plus stern. Need to stand on deck and visuallize.

Sleigher
09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Well, I built my clamps out of 4x4, structural channel and all-thread. It took longer to build the clamp then it did to do the straightening. I tried making the clamp so the all-thread went through the wood. That was a mistake because it was to hard to get all the holes to line up.
Ended up hacking the crap out of the 4x4 so I could get it all lined up.
Then with cardboard on the gel coat I wrestled the clamp onto the rail. It was the section of rail nearest the cockpit.
I put the clamp on the rail turned it till the bent section was farthest from the 4x4 then I started tightening.
The clamp was 24" long and by the time it was all sandwiched together it looked perfect.
Then I loosened the bolts and it wasn't so perfect but it was better than before.
I then took the clamp and used a sawzall to lop a section out of the middle.
I put it back on the rail and then using the piece that came out of the middle on the opposite side as a wedge I clamped the crap out of it again. This time the hole allowed the rail to get bent past it's original shape which it was forced to do by the wedge.
Took the whole contraption off and scutinized.
I don't think anyone would look at the boat and say "geez what happened to the rail?" but if you had to find a less than perfect spot on the rail and you looked real hard you might be able to find where the bend was.
It's probably about 1/8" from being good as new.
I may take another crack at it but there is always the chance that I'll make it worse or drop the heavy clamp with all the sharp edges.

Thought an update was in order. Didn't take pictures as they wouldn't have come out very well.

Peter

Malu Lani
09-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Don't fix whats working

Sleigher1
04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey Mike,
Does your brother in law get up to the L.A./ Whittier area?
I want to have toe rails installed on my boat.
Thanks,

Peter

NoSlack
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
More work than he can stand locally. No reason to travel to find any more.

Mike