PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Oahu, 8/27/06

Tsubasa
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Southeast Oahu, 8/27/06

We left Kewalo at 0600. The sea was nearly glass, forecast called for wind waves less than 2, our wake produced the largest waves today. There was little bird activity till we got to the Penguin Banks. Our angler from Italy landed a 25lb Ono (Wahoo), and then we found the birds, but they were mostly seating in the water, and scattered. The waters were just too calm and warm today to get any good action. We did managed to get a small Aku in the afternoon, (skipjack tuna) which we will save for bait for our next trip.

yellowfin1
08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the report. What is a typical charter trip look like for you? Is your fishing destination normally the area around Penguin banks or does it vary with time of year and targeted species? Once you find fish do you live bait or chunk or is it mostly troll fish?

Thanks,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
08-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Please send pics of your vessel, I'd love to see what one of the original creations looked like!

Tsubasa
08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical charter trip: We usually start putting out our lines a few minutes after leaving the harbor channel. We are only minutes away from the 40 fathom line and a 100 fathoms is not too far away, and maybe an hour or so away is the 1000 fathom mark.

Our destination depends on sea conditions, weather, and where we hear are hot spots, and the length of the charter. Half Day charters are not recommended, but we take them if the clients are willing to cut their chances by half. Our trip to the Penguin Banks was a first for us on this boat. Around the Hawaiian Islands they have a network of FAD (Fish Aggregative Devices) buoys, they are suppose to attract bait fish, which in turn bring the game fish. They can be productive or completely dead. We have decided they just serve as good waypoints on our routes.

At the moment we mostly troll, but we have some bait ready in the event we encounter a school of Mahi Mahi. We target Marlin, Ahi (yellowfin tuna), Aku (skipjack tuna), Mahi Mahi (Dorado), and Ono (Wahoo), but have also caught a spearfish and some albacore tuna this summer.

I will eventually get around to starting a blog of some type with pictures and fishing reports. Yeah, our Blackman was built in 1968, and has a wood double hull. The previous owner told us, that Mr. Blackman modeled the design of our Blackman from US Naval specs for a WWII PT boat. It was built tough.:cool:

yellowfin1
08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
RJ,

Thanks for that information. On my next trip to Oahu I'll contact you in advance and set something up with you for a charter. It vwould be cool to fish on a Blackman older than my 1984 Billfisher.

Scott

Tsubasa
09-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah that would be great.

We have a website...a work in progress, but it has our contact information. You can tell all your friends too how nice and sturdy the Blackman is.... Some swear our boat attracts fish. :)

http://bigfish-hawaii.com/