PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla, 8/29

firebc
08-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Headed out to La Jolla this morning with a friend and his son and enjoyed some great fishing. Slowing trolling deans and spanish mackeral we caught 5 yellows - 18 to 20 were the largest, and an assortment of others including a 10 lb. sheepshead. Lots of boats and a ton of seals! Lost two yellows to them.

I heard that it may be legal to use non-lethal force, such as paint guns, to deter them, anyone else heard that? I guess there is suppose to be a post coming up on "Let's Talk Hookup".

Phil

yellowfin1
08-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Here's the most recent guidance as of May 2006. The guidance authorizes several means of deterring sea lions. They were listed in order of benign to not so benign.

They looked something like this:

1. Barrier devices
2. Yell at them or use of other noisemakers
3. pyrotechnics
4. A water hose (physical)
5. A slingshot (physical)
6. And the most agressive...A cattle prod (physical)

I don't know who carries a cattle prod or how you would get close enough to prod the animal though.

I like the sling shot method. Here is the official site with a PDF attachment listing the non-lethal methods.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/Deterring-Pinnipeds.cfm

Scott

Time Out
08-30-2006, 08:28 AM
They dont like marlin tags (not that I have ever used one) but when you tag them they dont come back.

Russ

firebc
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Good information. Not sure why they allow sling shots but it seems like they do. We all know how much good yelling and screaming does. The sea lions even followed us during the slow troll and picked off the bait.

Phil

firebc
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I read the information a little closer and it does mention paint ball guns under "Physical".

Phil

yellowfin1
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Phil,

It would be real fun to see a sea lion with paint spots all over it's head. Then again it would be fun to biff a big fat sea lion in the back of the head with a marble from a wrist rocket too. I'm not condoning the use of violence or saying we should go around looking for any seal/sea lion to shoot at. I believe these methods should be reserved for those animals that continue to stalk a boat and steal bait and fish. Some of these animals are even becoming dangerous. Have you all heard about the sea lion in Mission Bay who jumped out of the water to steel a fish from an angler standing on the dock who was taking a photo? Come to think of it someone on this site posted that. Maybe Glenn? I can't even imagine what would happen if a kayaker landed a nice fish and a sea lion decided it wanted it? Maybe these authorized methods are not enough?

Scott

firebc
09-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Scott,

I stopped by the Fish and Game office today to try and talk to someone about the information and confirm it. But I guess it's duck season up north and all the officers were gone. The attendant gave me a couple of phone numbers and I'm going to try and call later.

I didn't hear about the one that came out of the water and got the fish. Not surprising with how aggressive they are. The sea lions at La jolla were biting the heads (with hooks) off the yellows and taking the bodies. Not a dumb animal.

I liked Russ' idea of marlin tags.

Phil

firebc
09-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Maybe most everyone already knows but Fish and Game has no opinion on this topic. They referred me back to NOAA. Looks like it stands.

Phil