PDA

View Full Version : Down but, not out!

yellowfin1
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Fished SCI Sat AM at sunup for nada. The plan had been to score points in the lingcod and rockcod category and follow it up with a mako and a marlin on the way back to S.D. Unfortunately SCI did not produce for Tenacious this time. Started toward the 43 at 9:30AM and dragged some jig through a porpoise pod 7 miles west of the 43fa spot. Got a single that fell off. On the next pass scored another single YFT approximately 17 lbs but, nobody brought a camera. I did snap a photo with my cell phone but, later found out I had accidently erased it (I know, no points!). A little closer to the high spot stopped on a kelp and we boated 1 dorado out of 3 hookups. Not a very good average but, at least we had a dodo in the box. Nothing else so we put out a couple 3.5 zukers and looked for the pointy kind. After trolling by numerous paddies near the end of the kidney bank we were loosing hope. I was about to pull in the lures and run in when we spotted a medium paddy. I made the comment that if we didn't get anything on this one we were outa here. The lures passed the paddy by at least 30 yards and I lost hope but, then the rigger popped and 50 yards of line ripped off of the Tiagra 30 in 5 seconds. The marlin was solidly hooked. Finally! We got it to the boat in 15 minutes after a great fight. The marlin was so lit up that it looked like a neon sign. I opened my trusty cell phone to snap a photo before the release and the battery was showing no bars! I was just as happy to let the fish go points or no points when Alan commented that the hook had ripped through the fish's skull and the fish was looking pretty bad. The decision was made to boat the fish and try to get a photo upon arrival at the dock. Just that minute I hear Russ trying to call Dan. I radio'd Russ who agreed to meet us at the 9 MB for a photo op. I tried my cell phone one more time and got a really crappy photo as we were carving the fish up on deck. Very ugly photo of what was a beautiful fish. Posted on the board this evening. Thanks for the offer Dan.
Never got the mako or rockfish but, there's a little more time before the fat lady sings.
Mike put me down for 100 points please.

Scott

NoSlack
09-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Unofficial Leader Board (http://bocaboard.com/Leader Board 2006.htm)

Nice going Scott. I need to get out and make one stick.

yellowfin1
09-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Get out ther Mike. You'll get one to stick. The MJG color worked for me. Also saw a couple jumpers in the same area North end of the kidney bank.
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Great Job Scott, those 3.5s are murder with a Blackman!

Time Out
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Great going Scott never give up till the sun goes down. After talking to you we troleed over the top of the nine just as the sun went down we got a double both on mjg`s needless to say we lost both what a fire drill one fish went north and one went south very hard to find the line in the dark oh well it was fun sorry we could not hook up for a photo. I was going to through my camera overboard afterwords anyway cant let you catch up if you know what I mean.

Russ

yellowfin1
09-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Russ,

At least you got bit. A lot of guys did not. Sorry bout the fish coming unbuttoned. I would have jumped in after the camera anyway (If you know what I mean). I'm so far behind in the points that it's looking bleak but, 1 good day could easily change all that. Scenario... 120LB Bigeye, Mako, and a nice lingcod could make a big difference (maybe a 2nd place slot) in the standings and all feasible in a day's work. We all know it's about 2 things (1) time on the water, and (2) half a clue.

See ya on the water,
Scott

Time Out
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Scott

Number one I have Number two I dont

signed
Clueless

DOGHOUSE26
09-13-2006, 08:00 AM
530 points looks awefully big right now, if anyone is planning on making a move, it's time to get the whip out!

I'm still down with water in the drive and to much work to complete immediately; maybe a tempory seal replacement after work soon. The YFT are here, marlin still biting in good numbers, and makos are plenty if you target them. As Mike said It's the given local species (halibut, bass, etc.) that will make or break you!

Time Out don't order the Cuban Cigars yet........

Time Out
09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Jeff you know me I dont plan to far ahead this little club has a lot of talent in it nothing is over till its over.

Do you have the numbers for the tuna I am taking a friend from tennisee fishing this weekend I would love to get him hooked on a small tuna or maybe a large one .

If my friend was not coming in I would be drifting for flat ones I think.

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll have some by Friday, the Johnnyboat is headed out Thursday.