PDA

View Full Version : Should I Purchase a Blackman Outerbanks? Need expert advise

MJ Ahern
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Looking for a solid entry level offshore fishing boat. Found a 1984 23' outerbanks with twin Volvo 4 cyl gas engines second set of engines, 1800 on meters,hull, interior and deck in very good condition, auto pilot, vhf, chartplotter, radar, good trailor, needs bottom cleaned and painted and outdrives serviced. Will have surveyor go through vessel and sea trial.

what should I pay for this boat if it checks out?

What cruising speed and type of ride can I expect?

MJ

NoSlack
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
You'll love the ride on the 23'. If you add a small tower with controls up top, you'll have the best of both worlds. Nothing like being inside where it's dry and warm in the winter and up in the tower spotting fish on a warm summer day.

Now for the negatives. I'm not a big fan of the gas engines and with 1800 hours you could be just a few good years away from a re-power. Twins will be twice as much work as a single.

Price: A 23' flybridge with a single diesel just sold for 28K, so I would think low 20s for a gas boat would be a good place to start.

If you want a 23' with twin diesels, give this boat a look. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/2/85671632.htm Don't let the 39K price scare you off. He'll be sitting on it a long time at that price. Beat this guy down to 32-33K and you will be getting a sweet ride.

Mike

Moo Fish
09-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Wasn't there a guy that was repowering a 23' from twin 4cly to a single diesel? Is this the same boat with the repower project in the can? As much energy as it takes to maintain one engine and one outdrive, twin's would have to be a masochist's delight......rt