PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Recirculating Pump Rebuild

DOGHOUSE26
09-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Finally took the pump housing off after removing the Thermostat housing. Found the impeller shattered and wear on the inside of the housing; sent it to a shop which sends their stuff up to LA for the rebuild if possible. Should find out in 4 days, I have more o-rings to replace than I would ever imagine!

NoSlack
09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Volvo/VOLVO15.htm

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Volvo/IMAGES21VOLVO/VOL-CP.JPG

fireescape
09-25-2006, 11:40 PM
hi jeff....did your pump go bad or just leaking? mine has started to leak and sounds like i should do the same thing you are? shirley sends housing up to LA or did you do that? thanks for the info
jeff fire escape

DOGHOUSE26
09-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Jeff my pump went completely bad although I believe it was probably dripping for a long time. As for the repair I have not gotten this screwed in a long, long time ! I gave the rebuilder another impeller to replace my broken one, he said it would be done in 4 days....NOT! I received it 8 days later painted Yanmar Grey; so I bought a can of Volvo Green and when I sprayed the pump I was flipping the pump around and noticed a hairline crack in the back of the impeller, then two other cracks coming from a chip in the edge; I think the ba$tard$ dropped it! I picked up another impeller and dropped the pump back off at the shop yesterday, then called today @ noon to see if my pump would be ready by the end of the day. He said maybe Saturday and I told him I needed to schedule or reschedule Sunday trips; he said they soldered the impeller and it would be fine to install. I picked the pump up @ 4PM and it was the same as when I left it. I wanted to install the pump but damn it I believe you should treat these like an airplane, you lose a motor and you're going down! I don't want to be 60 miles offshore dead in 6-10' swells waiting for VA. I called the owner back and told him this wasn't going to work; he said bring it back on Monday and they will try it again; I told him he already f'ed me for 2 weeks and he would never get another chance!

I'm ordering a factory exchange unit Monday and getting this gorrilla off my back!

Finally got the pump installed last Thursday Night late after 2 attempts. Seem as though my buddy forgot to tell me the alternator bracket has to be removed also, that was my problem Wednesday night. Pay special attention to the O ring from the top of the pump to the bottom of the thermostat housing and the 2 O rings on the plastic pipe between the Themostat Housing and Exhaust manifold; one came out of the groove during assembly which leaked while adding coolant. We took the Thermo housing off and reset the O rings but it was difficult. Runs like a champ now!