PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Seals and Bellows

KingFish
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
After removing the props to change the outdrive oil we noticed that the seals on the propeller shaft have sprung a leak and need to be replaced. We also want to swap out the Bellows on the outdrive with this project.

Is this a project that someone can do them self or is it better for the Volvo pros to take care of?

DOGHOUSE26
10-24-2006, 07:28 AM
It depends on how mechanically inclined you are; Knot Now Phil has the Volvo tools to remove everything and you need a press to put the seals back in. Between No Slack Mike and Phil I don't think there is any mechanic that could do it better.

NoSlack
10-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Mark

I'll give your dad a call around 4pm when I get home. I can talk you through the bellows or come by and show you how to do it.

The seal on the DP is Phil's area of expertice. So far I haven't had the misfortune of doing one. I can loan you the book if you're up to doing the work yourself.

Mike

Wizard
10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Borrowed Phil's tools a couple of times now, it's a fairly easy job once someone shows you how the first time. Thanks to Phil.

Knot Now
10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
I have the volvo tool to install the seals actually it was very cheap maybe 20 bucks including freight. Its not a bad job at all.
Phil

NoSlack
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
I stopped by after work today and met up with the new guys . Andy and his son Mark are going to fit right in with the rest of the guys in the club. They are as proud as can be about owning a Blackman and share the same passion for fishing as the rest of the group.

Last month they bought the "Paradise", most of us knew that boat as the NOMAD when Charlie owned it. She still looks like she just rolled off the show room floor and still has a bit of that new boat smell.

Tonight we took care of a few minor electrical issues and tomorrow they will do the seal with the help of a well qualified guy out here in the east county.

If all goes well they plan on spending a few weeks up in the bay area in the middle of November for the crab opener and working up a few points for the 07 tournament. With the timing of thier trip we may miss them at the BBQ this year, but I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of them as the season goes on.

Mike

Time Out
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Mike I lost my halibit rig tying tool the one the line goes in wood handle .

I cant remember where I bought it ??

Russ

NoSlack
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Wal-Mart, it's called a worm threader.

Mike

http://www.wormthreader.net/images/img9.gif

Time Out
10-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mike