PDA

View Full Version : Bait tank installation

aleaddict
10-29-2006, 09:13 AM
First post so here goes . . .

Bought a 26' Billfisher and have lifted the bait tank in order to check for moisture and corrosion atop the fuel cell (per surveyors recommendation). There was evidence of moisture as seen through the cut-out for the bait tank light. The moisture appears to be coming from the deck after washdown and not from the inlet or outlet fittings of the bait tank.

My question is: what is the best way to seal the botton of the tank to the deck? Should I use a silicon sealant or replace the original gasket? Everything is dry now and I have replaced both hoses. Many thanks in advance.

-- Brian/ale

NoSlack
10-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I use a roll of 1" x 1/8" foam weather stripping. Get it a Home Depot and put the sticky side to the tank. If you use silicon you might have some trouble getting the tank removed next time.

I have an older boat and the bait tank hoses come up through a cut out in the deck. I added a lip to the cut out to keep the water from running down the hole.

Good luck keeping the tank dry. I've given up and 25 years later the tank still holds fuel.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
10-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I think the original foam was 1" X 1/4" thick; I traced the outline of the tank base and then stuck the tape to the deck inside the outline. after screwing the tank down, you could use either clear or almond/tan silicone caulk to really seal it; you just have to slide a knife blade around the tank prior to the next removal .