PDA

View Full Version : wed. y/t on new boat

scuttlebutt
11-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Went out to the 302 and the second paddie we found was loaded. Had them all around the boat. After decking six they left. We tried to find the paddie and spent over an hour looking for it but to no alas. Next time, the first hookup I will mark chart plotter. Learned lesson on that one. Boat ran really good and had great time on first trip outside. Went out to the Islands last week and hounded the five party boats but nothing. This time we did our own thing and had great time. The four scoop bait tank was more than imagined. Not one bait died and we loaded it. Fighting chair was the hit as we all fought for it. We threw the y/t in the fish hold and put four ice bags on them. When we got into the lee of Pt Loma we filleted them. They were very cold and in great shape. It was really easy to clean and the sump pump worked perfectly. This is in response to some of you reporting problems with it. I only had one cooler on board for the drinks. Going out this Monday to the rock pile and anchor for the morning and see if we can chum up some more y/t and drink a few brews and let the stereo blare.

DOGHOUSE26
11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Tim,

If your using the plotter trail function on your GPS you don't have to mark the paddy every time; just look at your track when you start the boat back upswell or upwind and follow the track until the track course changes (where you stopped on the paddy and started to fish). You should have a drift line similar to the paddy unless the wind was real strong and you should rediscover the paddy somewhere close to the return track line. This method also works when trolling and you forget to mark your jigbite.

scuttlebutt
11-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks. We had been talking about that. I hadn't set that function yet. Will today when I go down to the boat. I still would rather mark the spot though. Did that on other paddies after that one and was able to go right back to them easily. Especially on bottom marks. Did that off of Puki PT and picked up some good lings as we drifted over the spot each time. This new 600watt transducer with this 12" screen is awsum.

DOGHOUSE26
11-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Sometimes the sound of screamin reels gets you a little excited causing you to forget to punch down the spot! Are you running with Furuno or Raytheon?

scuttlebutt
11-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Raytheon C120. Have full package with 24 mile radar, 600 watt fishfinder, chartplotter, hailer, and Raymarine Raystar 125 gps sensor. Also installed Sitex SP70R autopilot, Uniden 525 vhf radio with Uniden WHAM which is down in the cabin. Upgraded bait tank, fighting chair, full isenglas enclosure with modified zippers ond opening for the pole holders. Putting in six more pole holders on the back of the bulkhead behind the shower and below them is a special beverage cooler that fits perfectly and is also a seat. No more coolers sliding around the deck or stepping over them in the cabin. All fish are thrown into fish hold with ice. Saltwater wash down is then used to clean up deck and rails after flurry. Have a special large plank that fits over the bait tank to clean the fish before going into port. No bending over any more. I am not a believer in out riggers. There are two schools of thought on that. One is to spread out your jigs for wider pattern. Another and which I believe in is to keep a tight pattern. Always worked for me and less hassle with the outriggers. Down in East Cape where I go each year, the 28 ft cruisers down there never use the out riggers. They fly the flags on them. I have caught lots of bill fish and not one on outriggers. As you can see, I am really proud of my new baby and toy. Wife and I go out each Sunday to BBQ and look out over the bay. I also had omni directional ant. installed for flat screen tv so that I can watch the games or the grand kids can watch movies with the dvd player.