PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass?

Merlin
11-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi, I'm new here. I am considering buying a used Blackman but would like to learn a little more about them. Can anyone offer info about when they started making all glass boats vs. glass over ply. Are there any significant changes in hull shape or performance over the years?

Also, any info on the 165 volvo penta and 280 outdrive would be appreciated. What can I expect in terms of problems, maintenance, etc. Is this a good set-up? Can I leave this boat in the water?

Many thanks in advance!

NoSlack
11-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I believe the hulls are all glass going back to the late 70's. The 23' and 26' hulls come out of a mold and will only have wood in the stringers and transom.

Somewhere around the late 80's the deck on the 26' started coming out of a mold and that elliminated 90% of the wood use in that area.

The 165HP engine and 280 drive are two proven work horses. That engine came in the early 26' and isn't really enough power for the boat. Most guys re-powered to the 200 with a 290 DP. If the package is in a 23', that's a great combo for that sized boat.

Mike

Merlin
11-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I live in southern baja and I'm looking for an economical ride to get me a little farther offshore. I like the older 23' albacore special with the tower. Seems like a simple, reliable, seaworthy fishing platform.

I have to launch off the beach through the surf. I have always had outboards. Can you leave the boat in the water for a few weeks at a time? How does the outdrive do if left in the water?

Thanks again.

NoSlack
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
You can't go wrong with a coat of bottom paint to keep the growth down if you are leaving it in the water.

Mike