PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:47 AM
#0, Insurance
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-09-04 at 09:52 PM

Its that time of the year again for us and of course my rate has gone up Boatus is now charge 600.00 it was 470.00 last year
I was looking at the new pol. and noticed that they have dropped the coverage on personal items (Rods and reels cameras tv etc)now if I want them to be covered its another 160.00 and they will only cover a max of 5000.00

I started calling around State Farm want a cool 1,100.00 for the same coverage.

AAA 1650.00

I am waiting for three others to email me

I guess what I am asking is is anyone getting a better deal and if so who is it??

Signed Tired of taking it in the shorts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Insurance
Posted by Wizard on Feb-09-04 at 11:13 PM
In response to message #0

What year is your boat and value did you give them for your boat/trailer? Just curious how it compares to mine if you don't mind saying. I'm with AAA.
Glenn
"The Reel One"
1983 26' Billfisher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Insurance
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-10-04 at 05:28 AM
In response to message #1

1986 boat was listed at 65,000
and the trailer at 5,000
What did AAA run you they were the highest of the companys I contacted

#3, RE: Insurance
Posted by SBSRF on Feb-10-04 at 06:34 AM
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-04 AT 06:36 AM (PST)

Russ, try Oversea Insurance Agency 619-222-1111.

#4, RE: Insurance
Posted by Wizard on Feb-10-04 at 08:23 AM
In response to message #3

Russ,
I managed $40K coverage with AAA for $610 a year. Do you live in L.A. or someplace with a higher road risk level? I'm in a San Diego suburb.

Glenn

#5, RE: Insurance
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-10-04 at 04:32 PM
In response to message #3

Steve
I contacted your ins company the price is 1010.00 I guess boatus price of 700.00 is the lowest

waste of good fishing money if you ask me

#6, RE: Insurance
Posted by Nomad on Feb-10-04 at 05:22 PM
In response to message #5

Russ -
I use Cox Insurance Company, I think they are out of Newport Beach and they have competitive rates with extended coverage down South

Charlie

#8, RE: Insurance
Posted by SBSRF on Feb-11-04 at 06:59 AM
In response to message #5

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-04 AT 07:01 AM (PST)

Russ, I'm suprised at that est. I just renewed with Oversea(underwritten by Markel America) 60,000 hull $528 - 2,000 trailer $40 - 300,000 protection and indemnity $138. Total $706 anually. I opted for lower coverage on the trailer because I have seperate Mexico coverage and I only use the trailer twice a year. Uninsured boater,medical,oil pollution,longshore & harbor compensation, emergency towing,rental reimbursement, and personal property are included. If Boat US will do it for $700 that looks like your best option.

#10, RE: Insurance
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-11-04 at 03:30 PM
In response to message #8

Steve maybe you are better looking than I am
If you have been with the company for a long time you could be getting a discount who knows

It sounds like most of us are paying between 560.00 and 700.00

When your renewals come up I think you will find it has gone up around 200.00

It did for me and as you can tell Im pissed

#7, RE: Insurance
Posted by NoSlack on Feb-10-04 at 09:11 PM

I went through Vessel Assist. 888 937-3467
They use One Beacon America Insurance Company as the underwriter.
I pay $528 on my 23'.

Mike

#9, RE: Insurance
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-11-04 at 03:20 PM
In response to message #7

Mike
Vessel Assist now is owned by BoatUs the best deal so far is with boatUs at around 700.00 with personal Prop at 5000.00 other wise its 567.00 I have contacted every company I can think of 700 is it for me with the coverage I need. I dont know what you valued your boat at make sure they are covering you for your personal stuff like rods and reels they droped mine this year so I will have to pay an additional fee to keep them covered.

Thanks

#11, RE: Insurance
Posted by chrisc on Feb-12-04 at 06:20 AM

Russ,
I just renewed my 26' policy for $961, but I suspect you can get a better price, since mine includes a hull replacement value of $128K. I also have Mexican coverage down to San Quintin (very unusual - had to get a rider to cover - many policies don't even include mexican water coverage), no limit offshore (> 100 miles), $100 personal effects deductible, $500K liability and uninsured watercraft. The policy doesn't include a trailer since I leave my boat in the water all the time.

Aside from the above, what convinced me to go with the coverage is the insurance is a "master mariner" policy with Zurich. Zurich has an extensive line of yacht policies and provides coverage for all kinds of weird maritime law related items. Also, there's no worry about salvage laws - the policy covers all contingencies.

You can contact the Carl Nelson Insurance Agency. I initially dealt with Carl himself since I had so many questions. Now I just deal with his admin, Dawn Svien. I believe the right phone number is 559.584.4495 (there are a number of offices), email is cniins@pacbell.net.

One other thing, Carl is an ex-owner of 1 or 2 blackman boats himself, so he knows quality and how to get the best coverage price for the boat. No questions asked on this topic (other agencies - "what's a Blackman"). Also, this is the only person Don Blackman would refer me to when I bought my boat.

Regards, Chris.

#12, RE: Insurance
Posted by Wizard on Feb-12-04 at 09:09 AM
In response to message #11

Chris makes a good point about the way some insurance companies cater to boats and how some even know the manufacturer's quality, and how others just use a computer to cough up some random number based on whatever someone put in the computer. When I first did an online quote with Boat U.S., they came back to me with $12-15K replacement value. I called and asked "What the h3ll?" and was told they had no extensive sales records of Blackman manufactured boats to get any other value. Apparently they use comps of boats sold in the U.S. over the last year or so to obtain the replacement value. Fine if you own a Bayliner I guess, but I just gave up on them after that and went to AAA. They used to accept the replacement value you gave them, but changed their processes.
Glenn
"The Reel One"