PDA

View Full Version : 11/24 YT La Jolla

iclypso
11-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, last time we took the Bimini Twist out, we made it about 2 miles before the engine started to overheat. A new impeller and a week in the shop later, Dad and I launched out of O'side with the plan to run to La Jolla and look for a late season 'tail or two.
We got a later start than we hoped for, hitting the water at around 0700. There was a decent sized, long-period ground swell working and the sea was a little choppy due to an overnight and morning breeze that subsided as the day went on and the sun came out.
About 4 miles off the Carlsbad power plant we ran into a few big paddies and put the trollers out (1 silver and 1 green MyLure Dart feathers and a YoZuri crankbait). We picked up a few smallish bonita before we picked up and ran the remainder of the way to LJ.
The trollers went back in about 3 miles short of the hospital and it was about 15 minutes before we got the first knock down on the silver feather. The fight was classic YT: long first run and stubborn all the way in. That's why it was so surprising when it ended up being the biggest bonita I've seen in years...a complete toad, WELL above 10 lbs and one of 5 or 6 that size that we ended up catching. About 1030 in the morning we finally got a strike from the right kind and after a 10 minute fight and a fine gaff job from Pops, we had a 12-15lb YT in the kill bag.
We continued to pick up bonita until about 1200, including some of the thumb-smoking larger models. At one point we had a double header going and as I was bouncing mine into the boat a sea lion came halfway out of the water in pursuit. I'm convinced that the b**tard would have come into the cockpit if he was able; it was by far the most aggressive encounter I've ever had. I told Dad that he should get his fish in ASAP but sure enough the dawg grabbed the bonita at the boat and took about a hundred yards worth of line in the blink of an eye. The bonita was so large that the sea lion had to toss it back and forth in the air to tear it into smaller pieces, so what ensued went something like this: dog tosses fish, dad reels as fast as possible in hopes of getting the trolling lure back, dog grabs fish and takes line, dog tosses fish, dad reels...... Eventually something in the leader gives and, because of line stretch and the bend in the pole, the swivel comes flying back into the cockpit and hits dad in the square in the gut. All I can say is thank God it was only the swivel and no the entire lure that cam flying back and that the swivel didn't come back at eye level. Maybe we should have just cut the line but to sacrifice a trolling lure and 200 yds of line to a dog is infuriating. We put the trollers back out and watched the sea lion play with the carcass of the bonita for another 5 minutes.
We called it a day at about 1400 and started the 90 minute trek back up to O'side. What a beautiful day on the water: air temp around 70 deg, water was 65.5-66.0 and clean, blue. I mixed up a batch of beer batter that evening and I have to say that fish tacos are a perfect follow up to a Thanksgiving feast, plus I think the meal scored me some points with the new gf!
Hope you all get a chance to get out there before this storm comes in and turns over the water. Of course, I forgot the camera so the best I can to is give you a cellphone pic of the fish moments before it became fillets.

-Dan

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/505/medium/11-24-06_1329.jpg

NoSlack
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Good going on the yellows Dan. Did you weigh it on a scale or estimate. Not turney points without an official weight.

What was the out come of the overheating problem. Was it just an impeller change out?

I put a new one on 20 hours ago and it didn't prime on the last trip out and burnt up. Lucky for me I was still in the bay and Knot Now came buy and pulled me back to the ramp.

I had 500 hours on the Johnson impeller and it looked great when I took it out. 20 hours on the Volvo impeller and its toast. The thing never would prime without filling the basket strainer first.

Mike

yellowfin1
11-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Nice report!

Sounds like you and pops had a blast. Before repowering I had the AQAD 40B and encountered the same problems with the impeller/FWC pump system. Had to prime it easch and every time that I launched. If I ever lost that water in the strainer during the trip I had to re-prime it or burn up the impeller/ I think those strainer baskets are too big!

Scott

iclypso
11-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Just a guess-timate on the weight. We're still taking stuff out of the old boat and trying to find a place to put it in the Blackman and the scale hasn't made the exodus yet. So no tourney points but a Pacifico and fresh yellowtail tacos in November helped temper that disappointment.

In addition to changing the impeller we also had the raw water tube and elbow fitting in the outdrive replaced. This time around we hired a mechanic to do it but I'll definitely be turning the wrench myself next time around. It's hard to say whether reduced flow to the impeller caused it to burn up or if it was just time for it to fail. Have you had any problems with flow while flushing out the engine in the driveway? The boat had been run in the driveway once or twice before the overheating episode and I'm curious if the impeller might have been damaged then.

Out on the water, I spent the first two hours watching the temp gauge continuously and still look down at it every third breath or so. I'll keep an eye out for priming issues; have you put in the new impeller yet? Do you think it was a defective part?

DOGHOUSE26
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
is very common in trailer boat Volvos. It happens when you first dump the boat in the water and get air lock in the basket; it happened to me once after I returned back into the water after a major service. I avoid it now every time I go back in the water by cracking open the raw water basket lid so the air will have a place to go before starting the engine; when the water starts to drip I tighten the lid after start up. Don't open the lid too far as you will have alot of water spilling out the top of the pump.:)

NoSlack
11-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Dan
Never start the engine without the hose hooked up to it in the driveway. You should see a good flow of water with the exhaust within 30 seconds when you're washing out at home.

I'm not sure if I had a bad impeller or not. Just stuck the engine back in this morning and will test out the pump this week. I went with a Jabsco impeller this time. Feels a little softer than the volvo one I put in a few weeks ago.

Mike

iclypso
11-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I definitely turn the water on before starting up the engine. I let it run for a minute and turned it off when I didn't see any water coming out of the exhaust; not sure if that's where the damage occurred or if it was a problem prior to that. Rich always left the boat in the water so, based on the information I've received, I'm guessing that there may have been airlock in the strainer that prevented the pump from delivering the water to the engine.