PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Painting

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:50 AM
#0, Bottom Painting
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Feb-16-04 at 05:11 PM

Bottom painting tutorial can be found in the mebers section at www.followingsea.net

Can botttom painting be that difficult.? My boat's on a trailer, I am thinking I can block one side, paint, remove the blocks.Will this put any undo stress on the hull.? What do you guys do. The local Del Rey guys want $900.00 to do it. That only gets you a pressure blasting, no sanding. I hope I can save some money somewhere. Thanks

Mike/Mac Attack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Nomad on Feb-16-04 at 05:15 PM
In response to message #0

I'll be doing the NOMAD over the next 3-4 weekends and will be posting the process on the website. Have a veteran bottom painter (thanks Dan!) going to show me the trick to doing it on a trailer.
Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Wizard on Feb-16-04 at 05:44 PM
In response to message #1

I await you're post on the process you use. I did my last boat myself, on the trailer, and am convinced it's twice the work. The Aros trailer under my 26' Billfisher has even more supports to work around (and the boat is much larger), so I have yet to tackle bottom painting it. My old man has a lead on 3 pair of boat jacks, and claims we can 'slid' it off the trailer onto the jacks, but so far I'm extremely apprehensive of doing that.

#3, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Hijole on Feb-17-04 at 11:02 PM
In response to message #2

Lower the tongue to the ground. The stern is now up high.
Place the jacks on each stern corner.
Raise the tongue to the top.
Place 1’ concrete blocks with wood on top or large blocks in front of the first roller to hold the front.
Lower the tongue and let the air out of the tires.

That beautiful expensive boat is now sitting on 3 small surfaces with you underneath.
If you have to cover the ground I use a blue plastic cover for the ground to crawl on.
Use glasses, hat, gloves.
Use 3” or 6” tiny paint rollers to paint the entire bottom. With a 3’ wood extension on the handle you can reach it all from the outside. I still have to crawl underneath to get it all
I have had it sitting like this for 3 days. No problem.

When finished painting, I cut cheap clear plastic about 12 inches wide and as long as each bunk. I place these pieces on the carpet and pin them with bulletin board pins. If you don’t use this plastic the carpet will rub the paint off when you take her off the trailer.

Lay the boat down following the instructions in reverse. I have better luck when I have less than 70 gallons of fuel.

Take your time putting her back in the water. If possible let the surge of the water carry you out if not just take it easy. The plastic will help keep the paint on.
I still do not know how to attach pictures but once you do it will be easy the next time.

#4, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Feb-18-04 at 10:49 AM
In response to message #3

Hijole! You are the man!

#5, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Wizard on Feb-18-04 at 03:15 PM
In response to message #4

Sounds like I could get away with buying just one pair of jacks for the back then with that process? Sounds safer in that the trailer is still under the boat, more or less. This idea just lifts it up a few inches off the bunks, right? Also easier to get her up and down if some storm or something happens.
Does anyone have a drawing of the bottom of a 26' Billfisher that clearly states the recommended jack points? When the boat is on the trailer, you can't put the back jacks under the transom, they would be several inches forware. Wrong spot, and it could punch through? Also, the front block point would best be where?

Glenn
"The Reel One"

#6, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by moo fish on Feb-18-04 at 04:06 PM
In response to message #5

Back jacks (actually boat stands not jacks) under the stringers. Block the keel in a couple of places with 2x4 cribbing. Make sure the boat is LEVEL. "Oh, my aching back..."

#7, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by Hijole on Feb-18-04 at 07:33 PM
In response to message #6

The stands are not mine so I can't check the size of the pads. From what I can remember, the pads are about 8" X 12" X 1" thick. My friend bought the stands from West Marine. I just recieved the catalog for "Defender" Marine Outfitter. On page 46 they show identical stands for $69.99.They are the same price at West Marine. I only used two, one on each corner.I was impressed with the quality and design. You raise the stand by turning a flange on the threaded shaft. The stand is designed so that you can actually raise the boat somewhat when by just turning the flange by hand.
When I put the boat on the trailer I do not go all the way in. I leave enough space for the pad on the stand. The pad is at an angle next to the small flat area on the side.
When you look at your timeline to paint remember you still have to paint the small piece the pad was on after you remove the stands.
You are right about the trailer, it stays in place. When you take the air out of the tires you will immidiatelly see that you can slide the small foam rollers between the bunks.You can do this from the outside for most of the trailer.
I'm checking to see if my friend saved the pictures I took and sent him when I thanked him for using his stands. Right now I can't find my disk of pictures.

#8, RE: Bottom Painting
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Feb-19-04 at 06:35 PM
In response to message #0

Sounds like you guys have it down! I have been to four local boat yards, all of them recommend different paint. What type of paint do you guys use for a boat that spends most of its time on the trailer.

Mike
Mac Attack