PDA

View Full Version : Boat Projects

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:51 AM
#0, Boat Projects
Posted by Wizard on Jan-16-04 at 06:51 PM

Many (most) of us have boat projects pretty much all the time. I was thinking (dangerous), that we could start a thread and list our projects. Then, if several of us are considering doing the same things, maybe we could help and learn from one another?
Here's my list:

- Redo nonskid in cockpit.
- Gelcoat restoration misc.
- Redo rubrail (in progress).
- Add TV shelf in V-Berth. (yes, I know Charlie/newer ones have?)
- Add AC Outlets.
- Polish/Replace hazed windows
- Build cutting board (seen a couple examples here).
- Add in-the-slip Flush Kit (not sure it's worth it yet).
- Bottom Paint.
- I/O Paint.
- Cockpit under-gunnel lighting.
- FM/CD Radio and speaker system.
- Head upgrade.
- General woodwork restoration/refinishing.
- Rewiring
- Replace bilge pumps.
- Remove useless stock speedometer and do what?
- Windlass installation.
- ???

I guess I'm livening up the board a bit with a post or two a week.

Wizard
"The Reel One"
26' Billfisher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Nomad on Jan-16-04 at 07:26 PM
In response to message #0

I will be doing the bottom paint on the Nomad within the next 30 days or so and will be posting the procedure online.
Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Hijole on Jan-16-04 at 09:18 PM
In response to message #1

The bottom liners on our docks begin to look tempting. I had to take the Hijole out in December to clean the worms off the drive unit. I was just to the point that I couldn't get into reverse.

#3, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by moo fish on Jan-17-04 at 09:15 AM

Nothing that cannot be whacked out in a weekend or two (over three years). A couple of notes----the Kman has a gunwhale lighting set up that includes LED'. When you get down to do the non-skid on the deck, really get down close and check for even the smallest cracks and signs of delam of the glass and ply. I still have the remnants of the VDO speedo thru hull pickup but not sure of the best way to plug the hole after removing the pickup.....rt

#4, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Wizard on Jan-17-04 at 05:39 PM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-04 AT 05:51 PM (PST)

I would love to get some details about the type of lighting, where to buy, lessons to adhere to/avoid for cockpit LED lighting. Would be nice to travel at night with gunnel lighting instead of halogen flood.
Update on my projects:

- Rewired one bilge pump 100% today (new switch, labeled wires, double heat shrinked all)
- Cleaned Dolphinite from rub rail area, scraper and acetone. (rub rails removed last week, they are being sanded before re-attaching and refinishing.
- Friend (Dave) pulled all drawers and top teak trim from cockpit tackle cabinet (option for Blackman's in 83'?), sanded, air stapled all and sealed with resin. Several coats of Sikkin's and varnish to come.

Installing bilge pump #2 completely new system tomorrow.

Might post pics later, thought I could attach some directly instead of FTPing to my own site and doing the URL thing.

Glenn

#5, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Saltwaters on Jan-17-04 at 06:44 PM

I got tired of blowing bulbs in my running lights. I just changed them to a new style. The new ones didn't cover the spot where the old ones where so I had to make some teak mounting plates.
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=66875
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=66876

Next project might be a 4 blade prop and then a new rode and chain for the anchor.

Bill on Tunacious

#6, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Wizard on Jan-17-04 at 11:58 PM
In response to message #5

New 2nd Bilge Pump Switchbox ready for final installation tomorrow.
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=66902

Cockpit Tackle Cabinet Project in progress:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=66901

Rub rails removed, sealant completely scraped off now:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=66900

Glenn

#7, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Captn_Hook on Jan-21-04 at 06:27 AM

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-04 AT 06:29 AM (PST)

Glenn:
I have been wanting to redo my decks as well. Mine are likly built like your glass over wood. My dad (who owned my boat before me) always painted the decks with z spar topside polyureathane. They would look great for awhile then the usual would happen such as rust spots etc. I read, on this site, the article on the boat (23 albie special), Excaliber. He had mentioned taking his boat to a spray on truck bed liner place and had the deck color matched and sprayed. End of problems. I liked the idea and called Rhino linings in kearney mesa yesterday. They said they do the color matching and spray boat decks. I have an appointment to get an estimate. I am guessing around 800 bucks. When I find out I will let you know. I just think for all of the water my deck takes, this would be the best bet to keep up the non skip and keep it water tight. Also, if you happen to drop a rod or lay a reel down, you wont scratch the heck out of it. Food for thought. Anyway, Glenn, Good job on the proect list and keep the pictures comming. I enjoy checking them out.

#8, RE: Boat Projects
Posted by Wizard on Jan-21-04 at 08:57 AM
In response to message #7

That rhino lining idea sounds interesting. Let me know when you get your's done, I would like to see it.
As for my boat project list, it just got ugly. Most of the things on that list I consider fun and non-critical. But as of this morning, my boat is in the shop for the next 3+ weeks for non-fun stuff. I would talk about it more, but it's too depressing.

Glenn