PDA

View Full Version : 12/24 halibut

NoSlack
12-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Got a hall pass for a couple hours this morning and tried to repeat Tuesdays performance.

Absolutely beautiful today. No wild ride exiting the channel, long slow swell and very little wind make a picture perfect December day.

Started off in front off Scripps with a very slow drift. After two laps around the area power drifting I decided to move south where Zack on the Fire Escape picked up 3 keepers yesterday.

Very little drift down south so I called it a early day and started empting out the bait tank and cleaning up the boat. When I picked up my second rod it has some weight to it. Swing and I'm on what feels like a decent fish.

Not the big sister of Tuesday's fish but good enough to take home for the holidays.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/4_7halibut.JPG

iclypso
12-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Well done, Mike! To follow up on your report, we went out of O'side this morning and found the same conditions: clean, green water (60-61 degs), gentle swell, and hardly any drift. Dad and I released a couple of bonita but that was it! Still a nice day on the water. Found out that it's time to do some rewiring and replace a few gauges. Merry Christmas to all!

NoSlack
12-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Do you have a copy of the engine/gauge wiring diagram for the boat? Send me your mailing address and I'll send you one if you don't. You might have a bad ground or two. A problem like that is simple and will show like goofy gauge readings. Check the connector plugs on both ends of the wiring harness.

Mike

Professor
12-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Mike, Its not right that you catch more fish by accident than I do on purpose.

iclypso
12-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Mike,
I'll have to check the paperwork that Rich sent with the boat to see if I have a diagram.
The problem(s) seem to be connection related because wiggling the right wire gets the tach to an appropriate reading. The problem is that it's almost impossible to find the "right wire." Underneath the dash looks like a rat's nest...it's obviously been piece-mealed together over the years and I'd like to clean it up to reduce the chance of faults. Also, the gauges are showing some corrosion on the inside ring so I was thinking I might do a total replacement. I'll let you know if I can track down the diagram; thanks for the offer!