PDA

View Full Version : Customs

Malu Lani
01-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Has anyone cleared customs at Mission Bay yet. We are going to fish the lower nine this weekend and wonder if its worth calling in at Dana.

firebc
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I would like to know the answer too. I haven't been south since last summer but would like to hear what others have to say.

Phil

NoSlack
01-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I like the fact that Customs has finally seen the need for a Mission Bay check in, but the Dana ramp dock is not going to be a good location in my opinion.

The dock is not large enough to accommodate more than two 25'-30' boats at a time. If you have two boats tied up for an hour+ waiting for customs, the dock is useless to the 20 or 30 guys that may be launching of retrieving their boat during that time.

As a guy that fished solo most of the time, getting my 5 minute of dock time on both ends of my day is very important to me. As it is now, half the summer afternoon you have to remind someone it's not a picnic area and they need to get moving so others can use the dock.

San Diego is back on the list for a wad of Homeland Security money and I would like to see a little of it spent on a small dock in front of the Life Guard office with a direct line phone to Customs. If they want 100% compliancy, they need to provide us with a hassle free location to check in.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
If you're going to check in @ Dana; be sure to have the Customs Telephone number with you and either use your cell phone or the pay phone by the Dana Market. There are no info signs or phone at the loading ramp. Be sure to have the full names and addresses of everyone on board also.