PDA

View Full Version : 26 Billfisher - what to double check

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:52 AM
#0, 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by fj20spl311 on Mar-23-04 at 04:24 PM

I am going to sea trial the "Knot Now" a 26' Blackman Billfisher.
Anybody know this boat? Any suggestions as to what to look for?
Thanks,
Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by Nomad on Mar-23-04 at 06:01 PM
In response to message #0

Don't know much about the Knot Now but what I have heard has been positive. Well equipped and so on. Lots of compliments from folks that have fished on her. Maybe someone else has more details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by SBSRF on Mar-23-04 at 06:31 PM

Phil, I pm'd you.

#3, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by tomfish7 on Mar-23-04 at 07:21 PM

Phil
I looked at the Knot Know last August. It seems well cared for I was
impressed. Mechanically I cant say we never got that far. Price at that time was 85k plus. Brand new Billfisher base price was around 93k, thats without trailer and all the options but decided to go new.
His price looks better today , maybe a good deal
Good Luck
Tom

#4, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by moo fish on Mar-24-04 at 06:12 AM
In response to message #3

Throw every switch and open every valve. Spend more time in the bilge with a flashlight. Oil analysis? Don't be in a hurry. Disclosure makes it much easier for everyone....rt

#5, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by Sleigher on Mar-24-04 at 08:37 AM

Hire a professional surveyor.
I doubt that he/she would find anything wrong but they will be more objective than you or the owner.
I consider myself a mechanic. I worked on trucks for years as well as forklifts. My professional life is spent working with mechanics, contractors, etc. All in a very harsh environment. When it came to buying the boat I knew that I wanted it so bad that I wouldn't be able to see little things that should turn me off. So when I bought the Longfin I hired a surveyor and a mechanic. They found nothing of consequence and the surveyor even said he wished he had found the boat before I did.

#6, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by Captn_Hook on Mar-24-04 at 09:20 AM
In response to message #5

Harvey (the current owener of the Knot Now) is a real honest and stand up guy. He took very good care of the boat and primarily kept it on the trailer. It does have some very cool features that I liked. One was the liner cap inside the flybridge. It really adds a lot of class to the boat and provides a clean line to the flybridge as well as a clean base for electonics placement. Nomad has the same. The boat has a solid electronics package. Not the best but solid. Standard chart plotter, sitex ap 70 auto pilot and as I remember, furuno radar. The boat is newer and has been well cared for. In the cabin, it also has the extender board for the dinette that adds for a little extra comfort while sleeping at the islands. If I only had the dough...some day.

#7, RE: 26 Billfisher - what to double check
Posted by fj20spl311 on Mar-25-04 at 01:30 PM
In response to message #6

Harvey does seem to be a very honest and stand-up guy. Very patient with all my dumb questions. The boat is very well cared for, if not a little basic (less to go wrong). Unfortunately the GPS/Plotter and radio were stolen during the last break-in.
Thanks again to all of you.
Phil
Blackman want-to-be owner