PDA

View Full Version : squirts 1/18

fireescape
01-19-2007, 08:27 PM
went out to try my luck on the squid last night. was my first time, but from what i have been reading about it sounded fun. got down to the boat around 2pm to install new washdown pump, turned out to be a good move! headed out around 4:30 @ 12knt sorry dont have any#s but i was 10.5 miles at a 220.
Lots of boats in the same area, so i guess i was in the right spot? Took a small generator for the lights, and dropped the lines in the water. My first action came aound 30 minutes later really did not know what to expect, but found out in a hurry! I was on the big gear and they still put the hurt on you!
ended up the night catching 5 but only kept 2, enough to feed the guys in the fire house for awile. One of the squirts bottomed out my 50# scale.....
was a great time, and im very sore today! zack fire escapehttp://www.bocapix.com/data/510/medium/golf_cart_and_squid_004.jpg

DOGHOUSE26
01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm sure you know by now but next time go straight into the cooler with that beast!

NoSlack
01-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Had to pull the plug on our friday night trip. Bro in-law came down with the flu. Working Saturday so Sunday might be the day.

Mike

Old Blue
01-19-2007, 10:01 PM
A buddy of mine had one of his squid taken by something big that took all of the 50 lb spectra off of his reel before getting off. It was a steady pull with no discernable tail beat and not particularly fast. All he got back was a head that was stripped of the eyeballs and beak! It looks like there's some big stuff eating those things.

fireescape
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Mike good luck Sunday, btw had the large heavy jigs and they still scoped way to far out. had to add a 1# ball on the bottom. I also zip tied a glow stick to the top.

jeff.... yes the cooler trick worked lick a champ! spoke to mike and he schooled me....thanks mike this was at cleaning time...still made a mess...any ideas? if these things are still around next weekend I'm going to go out again. if i catch a smaller one how would you rig one up for sharks or sword? zack