PDA

View Full Version : Engine questions

Honeygirl
01-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I知 almost done with my 100hour maintenance and have found some items I need to fix. If anybody has knowledge of these items let me know. The engine is a KAD300A it痴 close to the 43 and almost just like the 44.

1. Raw water pump is leaking rebuild or replace? Who has the best price?

2. Fine oil residue in the bilge and in the air cleaner housing. Could it be the oil cooler?
I知 also getting some blow buy after Blackman did some topend warranty work

3. How often should I have the injectors cleaned? Can I do it myself? I知 getting a good amount of smoke when I first fire the boat up.

4. How do I clean the oil cooler? The owners manual states it can be cleaned but dose not explain how.

Thanks Joe

DOGHOUSE26
01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
This is what I know after 4800 hrs.

1. I think they make seal repair kits that are easy to install, it would be cheaper to rebuild. The pump manufacturer is Johnson so it's cheaper to buy Johnson parts than Volvo parts,

2. Oil residue in the air cleaner housing - crankcase breather ends up in the air filter; blowby or too much oil in the crankcase causes pressure to build and oil to end up in the filter housing and into the intercooler housing which then drips into the bilge via a weep hole in the intercooler housing. Make sure you run your motor on the lower half of the operating range on the dipstick. I also installed a dune buggy type foam air cleaner canister in the crankcase breather tube before it hits the air filter to cut down on the oil transfer and keep my air cleaner element cleaner
3. Smoke at startup is very common; it's excessive smoke after warm up to look out for. Injectors should be cleaned every 1000 hours or so; you can get by with longer intervals but your milage does go down and my engine runs rougher at lower mid RPMs (1800-2200); it cleans up after 2200 and feels smooth all the way up to 4000 WOT.

4. Haven't touched mine yet.