PDA

View Full Version : Fishing tonight (Thursday 15 Feb)

yellowfin1
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm planning to motor out this evening and anchor around LJ Kelp (NW corner) or north of Scripps pier for the night. The plan is to attempt to coax some squid up to the light, make some for bait and see if any night time WSB are intrested. Will have frozen squid for backup. Don't really have the time or fuel money to go to a great spot like Catalina on short notice.

If any of you wan to tag along give me a shout in this thread before about 2:00 PM or so.

Thanks,
Scott

yellowfin1
02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Haven't heard form anybody and it's 2:00PM so I'm off to Ranch 99 for my backup frozen squid (snack for me). If anybody is on the water Friday give me a shout on VHF.

Wish me luck!

Scott

iclypso
02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Go get 'em, Scotty!

yellowfin1
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry the report is too late to be of any use for anyone considering fishing (with fresh info). I enjoyed a beautiful flat starlit night sitting off of LJ kelp then Scripps pier. I anchored and deployed one of those submersible lights from Pacific Edge. It was the first time I ever used it and I was surprised to see how much light it put out. Unfortunately nothing ever appeared under the lights except s few anchovies which I easily netted for bait. I dropped a couple frozen squid over the side attached to salas 6XJR jigs and hung them from the outriggers. The thought was that they would move up and down as the boat gently rocked and they would look like squid doing the nasty. Never got anything except a couple mackerel. At sunup I tried yoyoing for a couple hours with only a single calico to show for it. Long night/day for no fish. It was nice to get some time on the water though.

Later,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
you missed it by a day, i heard lj was wfo early saturday am off the hotel 120'; yellows to 28# and a couple of wsb

yellowfin1
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jeff,

Stroy of my life...."should have been here yesterday".