PDA

View Full Version : Outerbanks in PC Sportfishing

iclypso
02-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Anyone else see the 26' Outerbanks in the March issue of Pacific Coast Sportfishing? Short but sweet little write up and sea trial report on Michael Howard's Pelagic Playtime. It's nice to see Blackmans get a little press even if it is only a local rag.

firebc
02-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi Dan, what were the highlights of the article? I know Steve has put some boats in the local boat shows and I'm glad to see that as well.

Phil

Sleigher1
03-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Not to be negative but the highlights, to me, were all the mistakes and exclusions.
I purchased a subscription just to see that article.
The author said that he ran one of the first Blackman boats 20 years ago. He could have run one of the originals that was already many years old but it sounded like they've only been around 20 years. Mine is 18 and it's hull #286.
He also said when "Steve Blackman Boats" started building them. I have nothing against Steve (I don't even know him) but wasn't it Don Blackman Boats?
There were no pictures of the interior or the deck. One of a baittank and one bad picture of the boat on the water.
I'm pretty sure the tower was not done by Blackman but the article says that it was. I recall the owner posting that he was having the tower done elsewhere.
The article says you can sleep three. Two in the vee and one on the settee. I easily sleep three in the vee birth (three full size people).
There was some pretty impressive numbers for speed and economy. Made me green but considering the inaccuracy of the rest I am very skeptical. Claim was 25 knots@8 gallons per hour. With a 260 horse Volvo. Said they did a Catalina trip and only burned 16 gallons. I'm lucky if I only burn 30 but I do have an older inboard and this is more than to the island and back.
Also, listed the boat with a LOA of 25 11" in actuality it is a smidge over 30'. The Blackman site lists the length at 25' 11" but does not list a loa. This matters, my insurance would have cost me an extra $200. if I were under 30'.
So, I was dissapointed.

Peter