PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 cod & squid

NoSlack
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Took the nephew and a buddy of his out for a day of fun for his birthday.

We hit up one of the cod spots off Torrey Pines for a steady pick on the Reds, Starries and a few Bocaccio. After cranking 20 or 30 fish from 270 feet the kids got board and were looking for something else to pull on.

With early morning rumors of squid in the area we started looking around. A half mile below the weather buoy (32.55 X 117.19) we saw some birds working real hard. When we slide in I could see the squid breaking the surface and it was game on as they attacked the boat full speed.

Those squid got the best of those featherweight 9 year olds. My Bro in-law and I had to keep one hand on the rod and one hand on a belt loop to keep them from getting pulled off their feet.

They'll have plenty to talk about in school tomorrow.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Mike were they the Jumbo 25-40# or the smaller 8-10# squid we saw @ 48/23 mid morning?

We stayed straight off the jetty for a weak mix of Reds, green stripes, starries and a couple of grouper. We tried squid jigs, lucky joes, yo yo iron, and bait tipped shrimp flies for the 8# squid we saw other boats catching sporatically but all we caught were more mackeral.

NoSlack
03-04-2007, 08:04 PM
#20 to #30 like on the 9. I'll take the 8-10 models any day for eatin.

Mike