PDA

View Full Version : New Aluminum Trailer

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:54 AM
#0, New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by Secret Spot on Mar-06-04 at 08:47 AM

Thought I would share this with those of you that are interested. When I bought my 23 Billfisher 4 years ago it came with a Easyloader roller type trailer. Not only was the Easyloader extremely heavy (approx. 2000lbs) it was a pain to launch and load as well. When ever pulling the boat out of the water or trucking up a steep grade (101) I was always sweating bullets. Twice I have witnessed major issues at the ramp involving roller type trailers. I think those images have always stayed with me.
In any event, I found a manufacturer in Southern California that actually builds an aluminum trailer from scratch designed for west coast and Baja use (not the Florida dual bunk design). The name of the company is ABTrailers @ www.abtrailers.com . He is running an Internet Special which I took advantage of. The trailer I purchased weighs approx. half as much as my old trailer. It is literally like towing my boat without fuel. The Secret Spot sits much lower improving towing performance and launching.

You can see the Secret Spot on the new trailer @ http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=71241

Larry (Secret Spot)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by NoSlack on Mar-06-04 at 02:40 PM
In response to message #0

Nice looking trailer Larry. I too will be in the market for a new trailer in a year or two for my 23'.
My boat is still sitting on the original EZ-Loader trailer and I like it so much I was considering getting another one. The aluminum trailers have caught my eye over the last year and will get serious consideration before I make the purchase.

How does the boat slide on and off the bunks?

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by Secret Spot on Mar-06-04 at 08:55 PM
In response to message #1

Hey Mike,
My boat goes on and off the new trailer effortlessly. As a matter of fact, so easy that it should be called a EZ-Loader! Mike, does your EZ=Loader have rollers or bunks? It was tne rollers that I did'nt dig. My new trailer launches easy because the Secret Spot sits quite a bit lower, allowing it to float off and drive on in shallower waters. Additionally, I am finding with the torsion axle suspension, I forget that I am towing a boat. Don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing? In all honesty, I am extremely pleased.

Larry

#3, RE: New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by NoSlack on Mar-06-04 at 09:13 PM
In response to message #2

My trailer is the roller model. A lot of guy don't like them, but for me it's been one of the easiest load and retrieve trailers I've ever owned. It's a little lightfor Baja, but I rairly travel more than 12 miles to the ramp and back.
I took a look at the trailers on their web site and have to admit they build a very nice trailer. They will get a serious look when it comes time to buy.

Mike

#4, RE: New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by Wizard on Mar-07-04 at 03:15 PM
In response to message #3

Nice looking trailer.
Just curious, since you said the boat sits lower now, do you have to make sure the outdrive is up before pulling the boat out of the water now? Did you before?

Glenn
"The Reel One"

#5, RE: New Aluminum Trailer
Posted by Secret Spot on Mar-07-04 at 07:07 PM
In response to message #4

As far as I know, the outdrive needs to be up. That being said, I have always brought the outdrive up before pulling my boats out of the water. Be it an outdrive or outboard, I have never tried to see if they could remain down.