PDA

View Full Version : Parts in San Diego VP diesel

marcortez
03-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Buenos dias from Loreto, Baja California Sur.

Myself and a few other gringos down here, own Volvo Penta diesel powered boats including Blackman and Davis models.

Parts is an ongoing problem if we need to replace an item during breakdown or as a matter of routine maintenence.

Not only are parts availability the pits here, part numbers are hard to come by on the internet (at least for me) The Volvo Penta website is almost useless as best I can tell.

Some of the internet sites who deal in VP diesel parts want to know a part number and I/we don't have them.
The Stem to Stern site for assembly diagrams does not work for me. File cannot be found thing. Urrgg.

Is there a internet site that has VP diesel part numbers to include outdrives?
Additionally, who/where in the San Diego area, can a wide availability of diesel engine/outdrive parts be had?

My buddies and I own relatively newer VP diesels...AD-41P, KAD43 with DP-E outdrives.

More often than not, we have to use what we call the "gringo express".
When someone goes north to San Diego, we can give them a "shopping" list for our urgent boating needs and then those kind folks pick up our requests and when they return to Baja, deliver those goods to us.

Often, were out of commission, if the part is needed to get back on the water
until the parts runner returns. (the pits if the Dorado are going off bigtime)

I have heard about Cogswell marine in Chula Vista and H&H marine in San Diego for parts.
Do these places stock a wide range of VP diesel parts?

It's easier for me and some here, to order parts on the internet and have shipped to family or friends in the States, but without part numbers, were sunk for the most part.

I guess I am looking for the easiest way to obtain parts for our VP's.
A VP parts number list, crossover part numbers, non VP branded parts that work and a parts house in San Diego to obtain a wide variety of replacement items.

Muchas gracias,
Dale Clark

Knot Now
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I have used H&H for most all my parts. She has a very good stock.
I would try getting a parts manual, if you can't get into Stem to Sterns web site.
Phil

yellowfin1
03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Dale,

Just spent a few minutes looking through some interet sites and unfortunately, was unable to find any that provide good parts diagrams. I have gone into Admiralty Marine and they have a site that they subscribe to as an authorized volvo parts dealer. I just spoke to Andre at Admiralty Marine in San Diego who says that he can e-mail you a parts catalog. He would need your engine model number and serial number. I don't know what he'd charge if anything but. if you are interested you can call him at (619) 222-0333.

Scott

marcortez
03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Thank you very much Scott......

Professor
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Would not recommend Cogswell.

Wizard
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
They are invaluable... Almost fully rebuilt a KAD42B by ordering parts with my manual. I ordered through:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/

Then that guy went out and put the manuals online, see this link:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP_Schematics/DIESEL/

What else could you need? Not sure how he ships to Mexico though.

Oh, and if you (or anyone) wants an almost complete (minus oil cooler), KAD42 in good shape, removed from boat in running condition, let me know. Got one sitting in garage.

hijole
03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
When I went to Blackman's shop last year, John had just returned from a trip to Loreto to repair Blackman and Skipjack boats. Blackman takes the order and John flies down to repair.

yellowfin1
03-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Good thread.

Glenn,
Thanks for the link. I have been looking for something like that myself.

hijole
03-26-2007, 09:26 PM
That's a neat link, thanks Glenn.

marcortez
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I just got back from San Diego visiting family and a parts hunt for my AD41P.

Quivera Marine Service near Shelter Island sold me a parts manual for the above stern drive engine.(before I saw the link that Wizard posted)
Unfortunately, the also sold me the wrong drive U-joints.
Blackman boats sold me the right ones.....an after market brand named Precision # 344. I went to a Napa auto parts store and the equivalent in a Napa brand is # 220-1100.
Both under $30 bucks. According to Blackman, the VP U-joints are over a $100 bucks!!!!!

Be aware that these U-joints are packed with a longer than normal Zerk fitting and will get broken off according to Blackman. Use the normal size Zerk fitting with these U-joints.

Cogswell Marine in Chula Vista was not much help. Disorganized and dirty shop IMO.

Thank you to everyone who offered up help.