PDA

View Full Version : More Rockfish

yellowfin1
03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Hola BOCA,

What's up fellas. Fishing was steady with limits of the 2-3.5lb rockfish off of LJ on Saturday. Bounced fish traps tipped with squid in anywhere from 180'-260'. Most were the 2lb vermillions but also nabbed several barber poles (pretty fish). Again, the yellows popped up close by and we could see them boiling but, none would eat the jig!
Quite a few boats drifting the area. Heard a few guys working the area hard for threshers but, none caught from what I heard.

NoSlack
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
There's been a lot of talk about knock downs by the T-shark fishermen, but nothing is sticking. Can you say giant squid.

The morning we were on the squid a guy keep saying he was getting knocked down by the sharks and realized mid morning it was just the squid that were stealing the baits off the bait-O-matic.

Good going on the reds. We've had a hard time locating a good bite in US waters this year.

Mike

yellowfin1
03-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Agree on the hard time with the reds. So far any reds we've found have been real slow pickins. It was intereseting that we metered a lot of marks on some rocks off of mission beach in about 270' of water but, could not get any bites. The only area we seemed to get the fish to bite was straight out off of the hospital in LJ. We got limits but, it took a few hours. Several fish spit up small 1-2" fish which looked like mini dorado or something?....... weird. I should have taken a picture of them. I know that larvae fish really change appearance as they grow.

DOGHOUSE26
03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I have metered a ton of fish straight out but have a hard time getting them to bite as well. The ones that did bite were nice reds however; I think the strong undercurrents must have something to do with it. I also know prior to the sun setting, the same area looks like a desert I believe due to the hunting humbolts in the area; I think they hunker down in the rocks and hide from the squid.

yellowfin1
03-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Interesting theory Jeff,

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get some money thrown at you to research that theory. Maybe buy a neat little remote underwater camera system and check out the rockfish habits in the day versus at night and them film the fish as the humbolts come through? Oh, I guess there's people and organizations that do that already (Scripps).

Just some thoughts.