PDA

View Full Version : Outboards?

Dos Pelones
03-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Anyone evere seen a transom mounted, outboard powered Blackman? How would its seaworthiness change? Our express is too slow for Mexico but I sure do like everything else about her.
Also, how much faster and quieter are the D4's in the boats being built now compared to the 41 series engines?
Thanks for any input.
George

iclypso
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I dunno, George. The change in weight distribution (from an extremely heavy engine low in the hull to lighter engine(s) higher above the water line and further aft) would put the center of mass and, as a result, center of flotation, in places they were never designed to be. I'm assuming you have an inboard, which means that placing the engine behind the boat would cause a different moment of torque than you're used to, as well. Having the batteries up front better distributes the weight with a heavy clunker in the rear but with a lighter engine, you may find that you're trimmed by the bow more than you'd like.

So, engine and drive removal, fiberglass work to repair old engine/drive installations, more fiberglassing to prepare transom for outboard, refitting of all fuel and most electrical systems, possible need for battery repositioning, installation of new engine. I'm not sure but I'd think you'd have to change tanks if going from diesel to gas. Most people would kill to have a diesel rig in a boat that size.

I guess the ultimate question is: is it really to slow to bear?

That being said, anything's possible:

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/images/RedNeck9.jpg

Dos Pelones
03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
I dunno know either. But what you said my bro said too. Steve at Blackman says the new D4 260hp are pushing the Billfishers at 24 kt cruise, 30 kt WOT, are much quieter and don't stink. That is the best option I suppose.

Knot Now
03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
IMHO get a D4-260HP,
I think I read cruise in the high twentys for the D4-260HP. I would check with steve blackman. I talked to him about installing a D6 and his concern was that its ~ 500 lbs heavier than the 41P. That was for my billfisher and your express is a lot lighter. They make a D6-350HP:D . You might want to talk to Mark and Russ (Time Out) about handling concerns with too much speed, that also might be different with the express. Volvo has a DPR for the D6, if you expect the speed to exceed 45 Knots.
Phil

DOGHOUSE26
03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Time to switch your medication Phil!

D4 260 would be a great fit; better MPG than you're getting now at a higher rate of speed. Just mo money mo money ! $32,000 from Blackman turn key but my East Cape buddy had his 24 Skippy done in Cabo for 22-25K and it works really nice. It has it's own Hydraulic steering and the gearshift is electric. Very sensitive however to fuel quality which might pose a problem down your way.

Dos Pelones
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Steve quoted me 31k for the D4 260.. Where in Cabo did your buddy get his boat done? We have our boat in Loreto and Cabo is closer than SD. Thanks.

wahoo549
03-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I too was looking at a D-6 in my Billfisher. And spoke with Steve Blackman,but he likes the D-4 260. for ease of installation and space around the engine. The D-6 will fit it is a shade smaller than my aqad 40.

I have a friend who has a 26' Ospray long cabin, that had a KAD 44 (260 hp).
The boat took on water and flooded the engine, the insurance company paid to replace the engine and he paid the difference.
And upgraded to the D-6 310 h.p. The boat handles like a sports car by comparison to the old engine. It gets up on plane like a ski boat and will run with them. Top end about 42 mph criuse, @ 3200 28 mph. And burn about 5gph. This is the closes type of boat and length to a Outterbanks, that I could find to compare.

We took the boat for an Albacore run from Moss Landing ( above Monterey) to the Davison Sea Mount. About 70-75 miles from Monterey. Sea was 4 ft chop we cruised at 22 to 24 mph and then trolled for eight hrs. We loged about 200 miles and burned about 45 to 50 gals.
We got 25 albacore.
The only down side of the repower was the extra 500 lbs, on this boat.
Only because the scupper are mounted lower than a Blackman and this boat has a transom door on the stern. And with three big guy's (325 lb +) fishing the stern. When you shut down quick water floods the back of the boat into the fish boxes. And you loose your ice. And the most inportant thing in Norther california it will not troll below 5 knts at idle. Drive and duoprop too powerfull. He has a 9 hp kicker for Salmon
Not a problem with a Blackman, fish boxes are foward and No transom door and the compartments lids cover the openings, Scuppers are higher too.

I would use the D-6 in my billfisher,you can never have too much horsepower.
that is what the trottle is for. But trolling for Salmon is the problem.

Honeygirl
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I have a KAD300 in my outterbanks. It is very close in weight and size to the D6. We run at 25knts and top out at 30knts. I did have to replace the trim taps due to the extra speed and weight. The old tabs bent like tacos. The best part of the new engine would have to be the new outdrive. Volvo has made a really good unit this time and they eliminated the walking effect the old outdrives have.