PDA

View Full Version : New Turbo

Salsipuedes
04-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Looks like I'll need a new turbo for my AQAD31A in my Blackman 20. I had Custom Turbo Rebuilders in Santa Fe Springs look at it and Jeremy said that once you start getting rust on the exhaust side, they're done. If they tried to clean it up, you increase the clearance and lose boost.

Custom Turbo Rebuilders quoted me $850 for a new turbo. He buys from a distributor for the manufacturer, KKK out of Germany. The turbo model is a K26. How much does Volvo charge for these turbos?

DOGHOUSE26
04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Alot!

Salsipuedes
04-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Can you be a bit more explicit than "alot". Like is the deal that Custom Turbo Rebuilders is quoting me good? I also have a Volvo parts source who has proven to get me good deals, like bro deals on a set of new A4 props for $300. I'm checking with him to see what he can do on the turbo.

DOGHOUSE26
04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
i think john @ blackmans told me 1700 for a new one 3 years ago, i just had mine rebuilt

Salsipuedes
04-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Then I guess the $850 that Custom Turbo quoted is a good price. It's the same part as it's from the manufacturer that supplies Volvo, only it's not painted. I can't rebuild mine as once you start losing metal to rust, the clearance increases and you lose boost. My turbo was jammed the last trip and I broke it free on the water. Was able to get WOT after doing that, but I can clearly see that the clearance on the exhaust side has increased significantly over the new unit. If Blackman quoted $1700, then I'd probably get it for $850 from my Volvo parts source (Sr. Naval Engineer at SeaRay, went to school with me).

Salsipuedes
04-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Then I guess the $850 that Custom Turbo quoted is a good price. It's the same part as it's from the manufacturer that supplies Volvo, only it's not painted. I can't rebuild mine as once you start losing metal to rust, the clearance increases and you lose boost. My turbo was jammed the last trip and I broke it free on the water. Was able to get WOT after doing that, but I can clearly see that the clearance on the exhaust side has increased significantly over the new unit. If Blackman quoted $1700, then I'd probably get it for $850 from my Volvo parts source (Sr. Naval Engineer at SeaRay, went to school with me). Custom Turbo did not have my turbo in stock as the last unit was sold to Kozwel.