PDA

View Full Version : 26 Billfishers

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:57 AM
#0, 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-11-03 at 05:39 AM

Gang:
I have recently saved up enough dough to put toward the purchase of a 26 Billfisher. I spoke to Dean the owner of the Sea Hawk the other night with the intent of placing down a deposit on her. Unfortunatly, someone had just beat me to the punch. I am second in line for that boat at the moment. It is a great boat at a very fair price. I do have a few questions for you all with regards to these boats and the differences between them in terms of age. I read Scott's post about the plastic windows and I am sure there are other things such as this that require a close look at when preparing to spend between 50-60k. Also, are these the magic numbers to purchase a billfisher. It seems like all of the ones I have seen regardless of age are around 50 to 60k (except reel one). I am also planning on putting up the Captain Hook for sale. Any suggestions, recommendations or anything I need to look out for, please let me know. This is a huge purchase for me and I want to make the right choice of boat to purchase as well as sell my boat at the right price. Thanks guys! Doug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Nomad on Dec-11-03 at 07:57 AM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 08:03 AM (PST)

Congratulations on your decision to move to a Billfisher, I know you'll love the boat. Price range seems to vary based on age, equipment and power but you seldom see many below the 50-60 range. Good luck and we'll watch for boats and pass the leads along.
Here is a 1984 on Yachtworld.com with new (2000) twin diesels:

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1119971&slim=quick&

And another on boattrader
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/8/60205438.htm

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-11-03 at 08:55 AM

Doug,
I'm excited for you. Purchasing the Tenacious was a big move for me too financially. I was really concerned about her hull/engine condition, to the point that I even had a survey and oil samples done. It gave me a piece of mind when the samples came back revealing normal wear and tear on engines and no major problems. In retrospect and knowing that you have alot of experience with the Hook, I wouldn't recommend wasting the time/money for a survey. The surveyor that I used didn't do anything that I couldn't do myself or that you couldn't do. As you know Tenacious is a 1984 model. Aside from the windows and poor cosmetic appearance, she was/is very solid.

If I had it to do again, Id look at;

- All wood for potential wood rot or structural damage
- All mechanical and moving equipment to ensure it's operational
- Electrical wiring (mostly for any major safety problems)
- Trailer for any structural problems (assuming it has one)

The rest of the stuff (especially cosmetic) would not concern me too much as you already know the sun, wind, and so forth all take their toll and you'll probably have to do some gelcoat work, wax, and of course do wood work once a season anyway.

Good luck,

#3, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-11-03 at 09:41 AM
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 09:42 AM (PST)

Thanks for that Scott. Do you know what year Blackman went to a fiberglass deck as opposed to an all wood deck like I have. Also, Is the material on the bow all glass (on the older 26s) or glass over wood. I would like to get all glass and would like to know what year of boat I should be looking at in order to get this. Thanks again. Doug-

#4, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Nomad on Dec-11-03 at 10:28 AM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 10:30 AM (PST)

Take a look at the NOMAD construction pictures and you will see that there is quite a bit of wood still used in new construction. This picture is at the bow which is reinforced with wood.
http://www.followingsea.net/nomad%20construction/album%206/may%202%20album/NomadConstruction/mold%203%20a.html

Charlie

#5, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by To The Limit on Dec-11-03 at 11:49 AM
In response to message #4

FYI I think there are two or three 26 foot Billfihers advertised in Western Outdoor News plus you can always call Steve Blackman.

#6, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-11-03 at 12:23 PM
In response to message #5

Wow I am suprised by the wood on even the newest of boats. I will review the Nomads contruction photos. I thought I heard Mike say something at the bbq about the older boats having a glass over wood deck that was prone to rot. Ok so that part is no big deal I guess. I thought about Dan's idea of calling Steve. This might work in my favor as well and here are my thoughts. Is it out of line to approach Steve with the plan of him finding a buyer for my boat with the contingency of me buying a 26 (for a small fee of course). I understand he is a licenced broker and I think they do these kinds of transactions. I could just as well sell it myself and put the money toward a used 26 as well. I think he has better exposure capabilities than I do but I am not sure. I am not in a huge hurry so I am all for taking the time to find the right boat for the right price. Keep your eyes peeled for me please. Thanks!

#7, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Nomad on Dec-11-03 at 12:42 PM
In response to message #6

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 12:42 PM (PST)

They use wood for reinforcing, bulkheads and cabinetry. The deck on the new boats is fiberglass as the older boats had a consistent problem with deck rot.

#8, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-11-03 at 01:51 PM

Doug,
Excellent question about the wood decks. Mine does have a large crack in it where apparently a local certified volvo enging repair facility (not Blackman's) dropped the engine on the deck. My deck is definitely glass over wood and while it's not a problem the deck has warped a little where the weight of bait tank is. I think my fix is going to have to be to grind down the non-skid, sand and try to level the deck and re-glass and non-skid it. Like I said, it doesn't present any real problems except I want the boat to look pristine and it really doesn't with that crack/warp.

During my bargaining process with the seller, I asked Steve for some info on the boat's history. He was reluctant to provide any as he indicated that it was a conflict of interest. I'd ask him about the assistance in selling Hook though. Seems like there are alot of Blackman's being advertised by R.D. Snyder. I think they've got some deal going.

#9, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-11-03 at 05:02 PM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 05:03 PM (PST)

Doug
I think the magic year was 1983 or 1984 when they started using a mold for the deck on the 26'.

Give Steve a call and he might be able to give you the hull # when the switch was made.

If you ever need an extra set of eye to look over a boat, give me a call.

Mike

#10, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-12-03 at 05:43 AM
In response to message #9

Thanks guys! Mike, I will take you up on your offer when the time comes. My dad usually is a good pair of eyes but since he moved off to the big island, I dont see much of him anymore. I would appreciate your input for sure. I of course, will let you all know how this pans out and dont be suprised when you see the Hook up for sale.
Thanks again.

#11, RE%3A 26 Billfishers
Posted by scottc on Dec-12-03 at 03:46 PM
In response to message #10

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-03 AT 08:52 AM (PST)

Doug,

#12, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-13-03 at 04:31 PM

Doug, how soon are you planning to make your purchase?

#13, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-13-03 at 11:33 PM
In response to message #12

Steve:
I am looking and could make the purchase if the right boat and deal comes along. I am looking at a 26 billfisher hopefully in the next week or so. Tan color. The boat is named Casper. Priced fair enough for the year we will see. Are you still planning on selling the Grebe? If so, do you have more info on her. I have also contacted Jeff Gamon "Terrafin" about his Bertram that was for sale awhile back. I have not heard anything back but I am interested in that boat as well. Let me know if you have any info you think I would want.

#14, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-14-03 at 00:12 AM
In response to message #13

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-03 AT 00:13 AM (PST)

Doug, this is a tough call. It's touch and go.I've spent so much time and pesos to build the Grebe to my scope of perfection(a pristen Blackman)its hard to let her go. But my goal is to start a circumnavigation by 2009 and I've gotta move on. ???

#15, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-15-03 at 05:37 AM
In response to message #14

Steve: I understand how hard it is to let go of something you have worked hard on. Do you have any pics of your boat and things you have improved upon? I would like to check it out. Thanks.

#16, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-15-03 at 08:17 PM
In response to message #15

Doug, I'll try to get some pics together soon. If you want to see the Grebe, she is in slip 30 Sun Harbor Marina. I figure everything done prior to re-power "history". the only lasting changes prior to re-power were cutting the stainless rail aft port side and installing a stainless cable entry and ladder for diving. Also had Blackman design a detachable surfboard arch which interchanges with the cockpit bimni. In june 2001 Blackman installed an Ad41 package (417 hours to date) I also had them re-gel coat the cockpit deck. I pulled the loran system and installed Furuno GPS and Dual Freq depth sounder,4 new batteries. 2002 was very good to me. 2003 in preperation for Mag Bay I had the Grebe re-striped, fresh bottom paint, new uv glass windows installed, new flybridge enclosure (eisenglass,canvas),matching bait tank cover,full cockpit canvas and cockpit bimini, pulled the alc stove and installed a cutting board,installed a 1700 watt inverter and microwave oven, cd player, new bait tank pump, new wash down pump, new compass, new electronic fuel tank sensor, replace the old laminate teak cabin door with a matching solid panel teak door and refinished all the teak on the Grebe with an incredible satin finish. Then went to town on the trailer, everything but the frame is new, plus 2 spare tires.

#17, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-15-03 at 08:41 PM
In response to message #16

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-03 AT 09:12 PM (PST)

I ran out of room before I ran out of money. In preperation of foul weather I split the chain locker and added a 2nd chain lid with a fully rigged 60ft chain 200ft rope sand anchor, plus a 3rd stern anchor rig, a 10ft sea anchor/drouge, a 10ft achilllies inflatable which tucks in neatly behind the flybridge stairs and a 5 hp Nissan OB which stoes in the starboard aft hatch. The Grebe also has a Raritan marine head with a 10 gal holding tank (Avalon accepted). I also had Blackmans stainless wizard replace all 4 struts on the swim step and a new anchor roller on the bow pulpit. Sent the auto pilot off for a total re-build. The only original instrument is the 24 mi radar which on a good day and tuned just right can pick up a lobster buoy I know there's more but I'm starting to fog up.

#18, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-16-03 at 05:30 AM
In response to message #17

WOW! you have really gone through her. I will have to get over there and take a look at her sometime. Nice work. Way to spend the cash!

#19, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Nomad on Dec-16-03 at 06:15 AM
In response to message #17

Nice job on the rigging Steve, the GREBE sounds like a great package!
Charlie

#20, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Dec-16-03 at 08:18 AM
In response to message #19

Steve,
Your old trailer condition sounds similar to mine, did you take it to Aros and approximately how much should I figure to get it ready for the Baja Highway? I'm trying to talk myself into a trip to Mag or East Cape next fall.

#21, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-16-03 at 05:07 PM
In response to message #20

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-03 AT 05:24 PM (PST)

Jeff, I don't have the reciept handy, but I believe Aros charged me around $2100. As I said everything but the frame is new. I was really stressing that aspect of the trip. I had read and recieved advice to bring xtra leaf springs,bearings and metal for broken braces. So I did an exploratory run in July. I had never driven beyond Punta Abrojos. I found road conditions to be excelent, checked out the ramp, talked to the port captian and drove home after a 3 dayer stopping to surf and fish Abrojos. Before that trip I thought I would need a tri-axle trailer, and initially on the first day I started of worried. It was a total cruise. I honestly expected much more trouble than we encountered. Even on the way back we had to traverse 4 total wash outs. It took us 6 hours to travel from Loretto to Santa Rosilia but it went well. Although the trailer was basically new and very strong I think the tow vehicle is the key. My old F250 4x4 scared me eveerytime I towed. The Grebe threw that truck all over, it had a small v-8 and that was a problem. I picked up a 2003 Dodge 4x4 1 ton single rear wheel 4 door with a Cummings Diesel, threw a 4x4 pop-up camper on it and the drive was effortless. I sweated the raised road-no sholder 10ft wide lane and 10ft wide trailer till we got to El Rosario, then fell into a very comfortable cruise, and made it to San Ignacio the first day. Best advice, heavy research, know where you're going, make sure you have on the water insurance!!!, have someone at home watch the weather, bring a Sat Phone, go slow around mountian curves. Stop if a semi is approaching the same bend,they are very curtious and good drivers. Watch out for motorhomes, I lost the driver side mirror as he got blown across the the line into my lane, luckily on the return run,south of San Quintin, no damage to the Grebe, Whew...
If I still have the Grebe next year I'll see you down there. I"d like to Launch out of Puerto Escondido, run to La Paz cross over to mainland Mexico and run down to Puerto Vallarta. Jeff listen to Nike!
And make the trailer strong, It'll pay for itself.

#22, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Dec-16-03 at 06:34 PM
In response to message #21

$ 2100 is cheap insurance; ain't nothing better than sitting on a 20' wide piece of highway 250 miles either way from civilization in 110 degree heat with a heavy boat on a broken trailer with kamikazees coming at you from both directions trying to get through the 12 foot wide passage your rig leaves them !
I've towed an 18' Bayrunner skiff behind a 4WD camper first and then graduated to a motorhome and we would cross TJ by 6AM and make Loreto by 9PM the same day, on to Cabo by 330PM the next day at least 8 times but I'm a little older and wiser now and anticipate a 3 day run with the Doghouse behind a 1999 Ford PSD 4X4. Maybe fish for 7-10days, leave everything there for a couple of weeks, and then come back, fish 3-5 days and then come home. The mainland tour sounds inviting however. I've only caught sailfish, dorado, and big unedible Toro off Puerto Vallarta on 6 packs while vacationing there. It would be nice to travel with a group.

#23, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by SBSRF on Dec-16-03 at 07:02 PM
In response to message #22

TJ 6 - Loretto 9 is a healthy run. Initally I was worried that the Grebe weighing in at 9000+ would take the Dodge off the road if I flinched. So I figured on 40 mph to be safe. 65-70 mph at 2000 rpm was the ticket. We left SD at 4:30 am, after Gurrero Negro and 2 cows on the road Loretto was just a dream. It would be nice to have a Blackman insurgence into the Sea of Cortez and cover some major teritory.

#24, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Dec-16-03 at 10:37 PM
In response to message #23

We will have to get the scoop from the Professor, he took that tour this past summer and I'm sure he will fill us in when he gets back.A great topic for the next picnic!

#25, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Professor on Dec-17-03 at 10:58 AM
In response to message #24

My trip was by water so trucks were not much of a problem. In fact boats were not a problem either. Some days we didn’t see another boat. Having driven those roads I can say that I much prefer the trip to La Paz by water from San Felipe and the road trip to San Felipe is a piece of cake.
I learned a lot on the trip and would be happy to cover the ground with anybody that’s interested. In addition I’ll be headed back down in late Feb or early March if anybody wants to buddy boat down. I’m leaving the boat in La Paz until late June.

#26, RE: 26 Billfishers
Posted by Nomad on Dec-17-03 at 08:10 PM
In response to message #25

Would love to get a story and some pictures of your trip posted on the site! How about it Yale, share some of those adventures with us!