PDA

View Full Version : 4/21 fish report with pix

NoSlack
04-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Took advantage of the break in the weather and hit up San Diego bay for a shot at a spring time halibut.

Launched around 7:30 in a very low tide with only enough room for one boat at a time to pull off the trailer in the basin.

Picked up a great mix of bait from EB, 50/50 deans and chovies. Most of the deans were 4" with a few of the bigger 7" size mixed in.

Started the morning trying to work the mouth of the bay but the incoming tide was fighting the morning breeze and then the red tide started to fill the bay as the tide was filling in.

Made a big move back in the bay and setup in front of the convention center with a nice drift towards the bridge. Hooked the first 2 halibut of the day in this area. The biggest fish went 6.5 pound, 27" and that was good enough to get her an invite to Sunday dinner.

Worked that area hard for a couple hours for 20+ spotties, sandies, calicos and a big leapard shark.

Move around the bay for the next few hours, boating 4 more small halibut and a couple more sandies. I was suprized with the lack of bait in the bay and all the halibut today had mud on the underside. This tells me they were sitting tight and not in the feeding mood.

All in all a good first day out for the spring.

Mike

http://www.bocapix.com/data/510/medium/6_5_halibut.jpg

Nomad
04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
well done Mike, sounds like the flatties are on the move. Worked the same spot we did the last time you were aboard for a 1/2 doz shorts a couple of weeks back. May take another shot tomorrow.

NoSlack
04-21-2007, 04:00 PM
If the wind shifts and comes out of the north, work the area from Seaport village down to the bridge on the incoming tide. Lots of terrain change in the area and lots of stuff to get hung up on. I fished the middle and the east side of the channel today.

Bring some extra hook and sinker if you fish that area.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Nice lookin feeeesh! At least somebody's catching something! Thanks for the report big Mike

NoSlack
04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Just finished cleaning up.

Nothing better than fresh halibut smothered in mango salsa with a side of spinach salad.

http://www.bocapix.com/data/511/medium/IM001515.JPG

DOGHOUSE26
04-23-2007, 07:42 AM
You're killing me fatboy!

Royal Hook
04-26-2007, 07:57 PM
God job on the catching report. Nice to get out now with these improving conditions. Hey I heard today your helping Jeff (Fire Escape) with a 42 install. Let me know of the date and I'd like to help out.
Tight lines

NoSlack
04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
It will probable be 2 or 3 weeks before he's ready for the install. Glenn is helping him with a parts list of things he should do before it gets installed.

After that stuff is taken care of, Glenn and I would like to see it run in the garage before we set a date to swap out the engines.

Mike

hijole
04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
What happened to work?