PDA

View Full Version : POR Epoxy

Salsipuedes
04-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone know where to get this two part POR Epoxy paint. Suppose to be good for rust prevention. If and when I finally get the new turbo, I intend to paint it with this stuff.

Old Blue
04-22-2007, 10:55 PM
rust on turbos is either caused by or made worse by a leak in the raw water elbow. Mine is an iron elbow with a stainless elbow inside that is supposed to be sealed at one end - the turbo end. When my turbo had rust on it I found that the inner elbow was not sealed to the outer elbow on that end. That allowed raw water exiting the cooling cirquit to leak towards the turbo instead of all being directed toward the exit side of the exhaust elbow. I had mine brazed at the seam and have had no rust issues since.

You may want to check your exhaust elbow before installing any new or rebuilt turbos.

Dos Pelones
04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I bought it online from POR: http://www.por15.com/

We used it on our oil pan, per a recommendation on this board, and I am very happy with the results.

Salsipuedes
04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
rust on turbos is either caused by or made worse by a leak in the raw water elbow. Mine is an iron elbow with a stainless elbow inside that is supposed to be sealed at one end - the turbo end. When my turbo had rust on it I found that the inner elbow was not sealed to the outer elbow on that end. That allowed raw water exiting the cooling cirquit to leak towards the turbo instead of all being directed toward the exit side of the exhaust elbow. I had mine brazed at the seam and have had no rust issues since.

You may want to check your exhaust elbow before installing any new or rebuilt turbos.

Brian, I will be replacing the elbow as it was over 5 years old anyway. The water looks like it entered by dripping down from above at the junction of my engine box and transom. I installed a stainless drip rail there (see in the picture), but it's not doing the job. I'll need to install some sort of shield over the area of the turbo/elbow.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/3/6/1/5/blackmanengine31A.jpg

Salsipuedes
04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I bought it online from POR: http://www.por15.com/

We used it on our oil pan, per a recommendation on this board, and I am very happy with the results.

Jorge, do you still have your boat up for sale. I'd be interested in looking at it.

Dos Pelones
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, it will be for sale again. I am going down next week to fish Loreto and bringing her home to put on the market. Should be here by May 10. I bought a Blackfin 29 Flybridge and don't need the Blackman.

However, I plan on switching out electronics, radar, inverter, house battery bank, stereo and the ABT tri axle trailer and using the good stuff on the Blackfin and putting medicore stuff on the Blackman. I am going to list the Blackman with a broker and sell it at a fair price for quick sale. Then going to put Cummins 6BTA 315s in the Blackfin. Loreto boat is going to be a panga.

If you want to check her out give me a heads up before I list it. Thanks, and I really do like that POR 15.

Sleigher1
04-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I used Rust Bullet all over my Landcruiser. It works well and is very sticky but I'm not sure about the temperatures it will withstand.
The benefit to Rust Bullet is the minimal prep required and it is a one part application.

P

Salsipuedes
04-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, it will be for sale again. I am going down next week to fish Loreto and bringing her home to put on the market. Should be here by May 10. I bought a Blackfin 29 Flybridge and don't need the Blackman.

However, I plan on switching out electronics, radar, inverter, house battery bank, stereo and the ABT tri axle trailer and using the good stuff on the Blackfin and putting medicore stuff on the Blackman. I am going to list the Blackman with a broker and sell it at a fair price for quick sale. Then going to put Cummins 6BTA 315s in the Blackfin. Loreto boat is going to be a panga.

If you want to check her out give me a heads up before I list it. Thanks, and I really do like that POR 15.

You're pulling off a lot of stuff. What's your idea of a fair price in this market?

Dos Pelones
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Steve, sent you a PM, thanks

Old Blue
04-24-2007, 11:51 PM
rust was inside of your turbo. Thought that I read something about having to break it free. Whoops! I may have been drinking some beer that night:o

Salsipuedes
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
rust was inside of your turbo. Thought that I read something about having to break it free. Whoops! I may have been drinking some beer that night:o

Yeah, I had to break the turbine free using a wrench on the intake side.