#0, Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-24-02 at 09:06 AM

First time user of the sight. I've got a question for any and all of you. I'm within a month of ordering a new Blackman and I'm leaning toward the Outerbanks. I know that most Blackmans are the Billfisher and that's because (I think) of the flybridge. I would appreciate any input from owners of each. My main concern about the Billfisher is the low profile of the seating and the ability to get down quickly on a jig strike. I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Thanks,

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-24-02 at 10:12 AM
In response to message #0

First off, I have not ridden in a Billfisher. I have ridden in a Radoncraft with a flybridge, 26'. While it was nice to always have the view from farther up I definitley prefer the option of up high or down low, especially in rough weather.
A few weeks ago, as I was coming back from Catalina, my feet starting hurting from wearing my deck boots too long. And then it hit me-"hey stupid!- take off your boots, you are warm in the cabin"
When we are looking for fish you climb up to the tower and you have the height, and then some, of the Billfisher.
Nothing against the Billfisher but I like being able to talk to everyone while we cruise and even listen to and watch T.V. cuz face it, they are not speed demons!
Just my opinion for what it's worth, not much usually but you get what you pay for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-24-02 at 02:31 PM
In response to message #1

Thanks Peter, your points are well taken and are simular to mine.
Phil

#3, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by NoSlack on Jun-24-02 at 04:16 PM

I have a 23' Billfisher and find myself sitting alone up top most of the time. Getting down for a jig strike has never been a problem for me. I'm in no hurry to get on a troll fish, so I take my time and let the guests grab the jig fish while I work the bait.
The height is great for fishing offshore but if I was to order a new one, I would go for the Outer Banks and a tower with duel controls.

Hanging out in the cabin playing cards, BSing or watching TV with everyone else would a good trade off in my opinion.

Mike

#8, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-24-02 at 09:40 PM
In response to message #3

Thanks Mike. Don says he's has build more Outerbanks lately than Billfishers. Maybe he's dealing with an older crowd.
Phil

#4, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Saltwaters on Jun-24-02 at 05:39 PM

We have an Express model with a full tower. Similar to the outbanks in that 2/3 of the boat length is one level and we have soft sides instead of the hard sides of th Outerbanks. Everyone is at deck level until we climb up top.
We looked at an Outerbanks model and really liked it. You cannot go wrong no matter which model you buy. I think you have more mounting options for electronics with the outbanks boat.

Good luck on the purchase.

Bill on Tunacious

#7, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-24-02 at 09:39 PM
In response to message #4

Thanks, I appreciate your input. As I get older the thought of going up and down doesn't sound so cool! But the duel controls is a plus.
Phil

#5, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jun-24-02 at 07:08 PM

I went with the Billfisher for several reasons. Mostly, I like the cabin layout of the Billfisher. I like having an enclosed head (I take the family out sometimes) vs a porti potti in the galley. You can get an enclosed head with the outerbanks but it eats up most of the galley space. Most of the other advantages of the Billfisher are the same as the tower.

#6, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-24-02 at 09:37 PM
In response to message #5

I know your right about the galley being shortened in the Outerbanks, you can get a head put in but it's smaller than the Billfisher. If your boat is the one being built I saw it when I visited Don Blackman. Nice lines on a classic boat!
Phil

#9, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jun-25-02 at 07:10 AM
In response to message #6

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-02 AT 07:11 AM (PST)

Yup, Dats mine! I really debated the outerbanks/billfisher question. I would have gone for the outerbanks but I really wanted the galley layout of the Billfisher. Either way, they are great boats and you can't go wrong with either one!

#10, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-25-02 at 07:41 AM
In response to message #9

Hey Charlie, I have another question since your ordering a new boat. If your financing any part of it have you been told you can deduct the interest as a second home like you can on a motorhome? I've heard this from other people but interestingly enough a tax attorney had no knowledge of it.
Phil

#11, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-25-02 at 08:24 AM
In response to message #10

There is a lengthy discussion on the Allcoast board about this very subject.
I wrote off the interest on my last boat which had a cuddy cabin with a porta potti, a coleman stove (which spent most of its time in my garage, ok all the time).
I am currently writing off my interest for my Outerbanks. It qualifies as a second home.
I need all the help I can get.

#13, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-25-02 at 05:57 PM
In response to message #11

I feel the same way and I've never heard of anyone being checked. I'm not even sure how they would check. Probably certain boats are assumed to be second homes ie. Outerbanks/ Billfisher. These would be boats that have the right options already built in to the spec's. I appreciate your imput and the closer I get to ordering the boat the more excited the whole thing seems.
Phil

#12, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jun-25-02 at 12:53 PM
In response to message #10

Absolutely this my second home and my accountant agrees! If you need the name of a great accountant (also into boats) let me know. Does taxes at a reasonable price.

#14, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-25-02 at 06:00 PM
In response to message #12

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on that. I'm meeting with someone next week to discuss options or I'll know more after that. How about you, how often are you down there taking pictures? I remember Don saying you were due the same day I met with him to take more pictures.....pretty exciting I'll bet!
Phil

#15, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jun-25-02 at 06:19 PM
In response to message #14

At least once per week, now towards the end twice. Lots of details and last minute decisions etc. Loving every minute of it!

#16, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jun-25-02 at 06:59 PM
In response to message #15

Are you taking delivery in Mexico? I've talked with someone who did and said he didn't have any problems leaving it 91 days then transfering the registration here. Interesting, and mentioned several times by others, that Blackmans send to roll a lot and plow when going with the swell. Not sure how big a deal that is since all boats have pluses and minuses - have you heard any of that?
Phil

#17, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Accolade on Jul-09-02 at 09:57 AM
In response to message #16

Where do you fish? The outerbanks is just that, offshore fishing weapon that is warm and dry inside. If you like the Tanner and Cortez/Channel Island area, warm and dry is crucial. It's also nice to run home from the double 220's with the spray in the windows, and not in your face.
good sailing to ya!
Tony

#18, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jul-09-02 at 12:56 PM
In response to message #16

Sorry I missed your last post Phil. I decided to take US delivery and pay the tax. Decided that after 9/11 : that the hassels of the border, questionable fuel availability and concern about the quality of the water and most of all the inconvenience of having the boat across the border were worth the added cost. If I were taking delivery of a 29 or larger with a considerably greater $ savings I would opt for south of the border.
The Blackmans can have a wild ride downswell if you don't adjust your tabs and speed. I thinks it's a manageable problem and doesn't seem to affect the demand for the boat.

#19, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by firebc on Jul-10-02 at 09:17 PM
In response to message #18

Thanks Charlie. What's weird for me is I've spent much of my life around sportfishing and feel I know the fishing part pretty well and I'm ready to buy a boat without having been on one. Don Blackman is unique in that he doesn't have any models for sea trial. Word of mouth is his strongest support.
If you know the history of the Blackman family they owned a sailboat turned turtle boat that was later converted into a sportfisher and sold to H&M Landing and was named the Mascot III. My dad ran that boat for several years and recently we were able to give some of the pictures of the boat after conversion to Don.

Well I'm not sure what that story just got told but I just wanted to say thanks for the information and the website to visit. P.S. great counts today!!

Phil Silva

#20, RE: Billfisher vs. Outerbanks
Posted by Nomad on Jul-10-02 at 10:44 PM
In response to message #19

Interesting info, I didn't know that. Guess I need to get going and interview the Blackmans. Running around taking care of the odds and end for the Nomad. It's getting close now!