+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-power recomendations?

Default Re-power recomendations?

Hello everybody my name is Charley and I bought Peter's (Sleigher1) 1989 Blackman 26 OuterBanks. I love the boat and Peter took great care of her - I know it killed him to sell it. Anyway, I had a great summer getting to know the boat and went on some great adventures.

The engine is a Volvo TAMD 41A that runs good but I really think that more horsepower would be a big improvement. It is getting kind of tired. So ...........I am kicking around the idea of doing a re-power. I know it will cost a bunch but what the hell.........

Can you guys please recommend a new diesel that will generate around 300 hp and fit in the same space? I really want to keep the deck flat. Also, any guess on how much it will cost all in?

Thanks
    Charley

Default repower

charly,I repowered my '85 26ft Billfisher that had a 40ADAP/290DP stock engine with 160hp.Blackman replaced it with a 215HP,AD41P-A.The performance is now more then adequate. kevin

Default o

D6

I have the Yanmar in mine and I don't remember the exact horsepower rating but it is just over or just under 300HP. It does fit under the deck but it rubs on the hatch. Oh yeah the boat is a 26' Billfisher.
    The boat does hall ass but I can not run it at full throttle for more than a few seconds. Anything above 35 knots it becomes very unstable.
    It does however average 3.6MPG probably because the motor is not working.
    I personally love the Yanmar but would stay in the 250HP range and I believe the 4 cylinder motors are in that range now. That is two cylinders to purchase,maintain, and feed.

If you have any questions about any of this PM me for my number.

The new Volvos are 4 cylinders; I think you can get 260HP in a I/O for about 30K installed which includes complete new helm steering and a computerized monitor system including a FloScan type monitor and bronze counter rotating props. The new Yanmars for shaft drive installs are BMW 6 cylinder blocks which is actually shorter than the Volvo 4 cylinder blocks. Fly by wire throttle and shift controls same as Volvo, I'm not sure of the cost. Call Blackman's they have installed both. Personally I'd stay with the Volvos, one of latest Yanmars they installed in a 29 had bad controls which was hard to troubleshoot at first, now they have a second generation control unit with hopefully less bugs!

Freespool I'm white knuckle driving my Billfisher @ 24 kts, probably mess my pants @ 35!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 11-08-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Doghouse26,
    Yes it is really scary even when it is flat as glass.
    Laura Mei,
    Also if you do any slow trolling I don't recommend that much power. Just in gear I am at 5 knots.

Default Thanks for the advice

Should I have Blackman re-power? What are advantages of them doing it vs somebody else? Boat is direct drive -- you guys really think 300 hp is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Mei View Post
    Should I have Blackman re-power? What are advantages of them doing it vs somebody else? Boat is direct drive -- you guys really think 300 hp is too much?
    Yes 300 is too much.

Default repower

I got a competitive bid from Butch at Oceanside Marine.They wanted more then Blackman. kevin

Charlie, 300 is perfect. I have a 2003 Outer Banks with a KAD300, it's rated at 285 hp. I love the boat and the extra power. I cruise at 24-26 knots at 2.20-2.80gpm depending on the load and weather and top out at 30knotts. I idle at 1.75-2.50knotts. Even if you don't want to do 30knots the extra power is nice to have to get you out of sticky situations like powering down a big pushing swell. I bought the boat used and if I was to buy new I would with out a doubt have a D6 installed. I have two good friends that have similar boats to ours, and they both have a single D6 in them and the are great. Volvo really worked out all the bugs and the new outdrives are bullet proof.

I have seen you at the Cat a few times and your boat looks great. If you want to go for a ride and test drive my boat, I'm in slipped in Long Beach. Shot me an email and we can set something up. Joe

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information