+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto pilot install?

Bob

If your unit has a remote jack like mine does, here is what I think we need to do. Let me build one first to be sure.

start with a 1/4" 3 circuit RC jack

1 toggle switch with normally open/normally closed contacts
    2 push buttons with a set of normally open and normally closed contacts
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I have the Simrad AP3000 which was the unit before the AP11; it works fine after you replace the nylon bushings in the outdrive and tighten the slop out, it will over-correct with any slop. Mine works better into the swell than with it but what Blackman runs well downswell anyway? A real treat is 2 fatboys on the bridge each with a beer in his hand, the GPS steering the AP for the course home, less than 50 galllons of fuel left in the tank, a little too much trim tab and a 4-6' following sea, now that's entertainment!

I primarily use my AP while trolling or paddy hopping so I can keep a lookout for life when fishing solo; most of the time we drive the boat to and from our destination.

Default Benmar Course setter

Mike.

I think you have a newer version of the Course Setter. I still have to check, but I think I have the 20R and the display is much different. I hope I have a remote plug like your has. I can tell you are a trained electrician. That schematic looks like one of my techs drew it up.

Bob

Default 4-6' following sea, now that's entertainment!

I second that....but I usually have 3 FAT BOYS on the bridge. LOL.

Also try that after 15 hours of fishing on an 8 hour ride home. Helps keep you awake.

The setting on the Sitex is backwards to me. Fast setting means the rudder rate is slower i.e. its for a more responsive rudder.
    Phil

Sharkwaters, I do have a friend with a furuno in a 28 boat with an I/O. He has has no complaints and stated it works great under any condition and has no zig-zag issues. I don't have the model# but will get it A.S.A.P. I talked with another guy with the sp70 and he is having the same problem with the sitex control head freezing up as I am. Seems like a major problem with the sitex. Also Jeff (Fire Escape) just put a new AP on his boat last session and also has a dual station. He is at the desert until tomorrow, I'm sure he has some good info for you to help make your decision easier. Joe

Finished the prototype hand held remote tonight. Here in the driveway it works like the wright up in the Benmar manual. If we get a break in the weather this weekend I'll give it the on the water test.

Mike

Last edited by NoSlack; 01-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Default Nice Work!

Can I be your agent, I think I can get them made cheaper in Korea probably $1.87 / unit on an order of 10,000 or more..........

Default Auto pilot

Mike, how many are you going to make? I am looking for the manual to read more about this. Wonder how many of us still have this auto pilot. david

David

You're welcome to come by and pick up my books and make yourself a copy.
    If the remote performs on the water like it did in the driveway I'll knock out as many as there is a need for. I've got $25 in this one but I didn't go all out on marine grade switches. Top of the line stuff might run the cost up to $40.

I made mine hand held/portable and I see no reason it couldn't be panel mounted or fixed at the upper station for the guys with the Outerbanks model boats.

Jeff

You're right about Korea being able to under cut my price but I think I'll beat them out when it comes to customer service and waranty.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-04-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Default Benmar Auto Pilot

Mike, Thanks I will look on the boat for the book first,Blackman sent my AP unit in about a year ago,it works great. but with this remote,it sounds all good.Put me down for one, Sea Trail may be ruff this week end. David

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information