+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auto pilot install?

Mike. That is the coolest remote!. I'm sure it will work on the water. The course setters may live to ride again.
    Bob

Thumbs up

Mike.
    I checked my model and it is a 21R, but it has a different look than yours and it does not have the jack you will use for the remote- bummer. Mine is a 1987 version. I found two manuals on the boat for the AP. One version (098-0334B) does not show the remote in the manual or on the schematic. The other manual (098-0338F) does show the manual and the schematic has the jack, J7. I can't read a single line drawing at all. Do you think the jack J7 can be wired into my unit? If not, no problem. This has been a good winter time thread and I think you came up with a good solution to the 2nd station option for the guys with the right AP.
    Thanks for the help.
    Bob

Default You Need An Agent !

$40 are you out of your mind we could have retired on this one @ $150 a pop!

Customer service was back in the 80s, where have you been?

Warranty? Sell them a 3 year service contract @ $250 and have the Korean Enginneer explain that to them on the 1 800 BLACKMAN PARTS line.

I guesss I've been talking to Steve too much, it rubs off!

Didn't give up on me Bob. My schematic page has the number 098-333B on it and in the top center is J2 were the jack is wired to. If you can find something like that on your schematic and verify it's on your board, we're in business. Are you in SD or up in orange county? If you're down in SD and have the time let's get together and I'll look it over. email me at noslack@cox.net or call my cell 619 666-6870

Mike

If your board has a 3 pin connector J2 or maybe J7 for your unit, with nothing connected to it, I think we can wire right to that spot and made it work
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Hi Mike. The schematic in my version, 098-0334B looks like the same as the one you posted for limit switch accessory. I will have to go to the boat and look for the J2 or J7 connector. I would need an external plug wired in. I'm in the OC, at Dana Point. I will take a digital camera and snap off a couple of pics.
    Thanks for the help.
    Bob

Default Sitex 70

I have the Sitex 70 as I wanted to be able to sit back and drive the boat with out leaning forward. It works great and have no problems with it not keeping course. Two friends of mine have Benmars on there boats and what a pain they are. Trying to get parts has been a real problem for them. I love my Sitex and glad Steve talked me into it as the installation has shown no problems. I set the course in any type of seas with no problem. I drove all the way to my slip using the hand held controller. Did it to see if I could for the heck of it. Waited till a weekday when sail boats were not out in force. The cost was only $1200 at Custom Marine Service. Phantom Marine was very high in there electronics. I bought my whole electronic package from CMS and saved over $2000.

I thought I was the only person with autopilot problems. I think I've repuilt everything 3 times. Each time I think I solved the problem. Then it's the same old thing.
    It seems the only pilot that works is the old Benmar. That's the one Don tried to sell me 20 years ago.
    Hijole

Hi Guys. I have been too busy to get back to this thread. Mike. I check my binnacle and I don't have the J7 plug, or at least one that is not used. The Ray Marine AP is not too expensive if I don;t buy the Gyro unit.
    Now I have another issue/question.
    I have a three hose pressurized Hynautic steering system. I rebuilt the ram two years ago, but now that I looked at the system as a whole and its overall importance. I realize that I'm on borrowed time. The Reservalve and ram are pretty corroded. I'm looking at replacing the ram, reservalve, hoses, and the AP. I'm not sure if the same cylinder and reservalve are still available. My helms are not the vented with reservoirs models. Has anyone else had to replace these parts? Is Steve still using the pressurized system?
    I guess I need to call Steve tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help, comments.
    Bob

I believe Hynautic was bought out by Teleflex, I'm not sure if the rams are still available. I have a brand new Tank in the box(when mine went out I ordered one from Bucklew Marine Service, the guy in SD who works on them; he said 3weeks lead time. After I ordered one from him , I found one in Newport Beach and had it the next day. I believe I paid $270 for it. If you need one let me know or Bucklew might be able to rebuild yours; just be patient with him he does good work, he did my helm station no problems.

Jeff, there's not much to the tank as I remember. There are just a few O-rings, the main one that connects the chingadera (where the hoses connect) below the tank to the tank. I think the problem is that the dirt,greese and grime stays here.
    Heres my 2 cents. I have greesed the fitting on the ram because it has a greese fitting. After rebuilding the ram several times I'm convinced we should not greese it or at least as much as I was. The greese would get sucked into the ram and then travel around with the oil through out the system and make everything slippery. I found greese at every corner, the helms, pump, hoses and sitting heavy in the tank. At first I didn't know what I was cleaning when I had the helms and pump apart. Maybe thats why my system would work OK for awhile. I think that would be the reason the chingadera kept sliding around. Since the last time I rebuilt everything it has lasted longer. I now get a small paper towel and rub hynautic fluid on the rod coming out of the ram, NO GREESE. We'll see if that was it.
    Don't laugh, I've done everything wrong several times.
    Hijole

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information