+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm going for it - Repower of the Laura Mei

Default I'm going for it - Repower of the Laura Mei

Thanks everybody (thanks Peter) for the advice. I have decided to repower my boat the “Laura Mei” (formerly the Longfin – Sleigher1’s old boat) with a Yanmar 6LPA-2 315 Tier 2 Marine Diesel Engine with a ZF 63A marine transmission, deluxe "C" instrumentation, with "mini"-upper station, isolation mounts, heavy duty 80 amp alternator. Also, I will be getting new running gear as needed. I am having the work done by Tony Athens’s shop in Oxnard (http://www.sbmar.com/). I went with him based on numerous personal recommendations and after visit to his shop. The engine and trans are on order and they should start the project in January and hopefully it will be done by end of March. I will post pictures along the way.
    Merry Christmas everybody.
    Charley

Default 57% More Power!

Congratulations, I've heard nothing but good things about Tony Athens work. Let us know how it works out, I'm anxious to see how she goes @ WOT! With all that power you might want to start thinking about getting the bridge seat backrest steel supports strengthened, you're going to need it!

Realistically though you'll be able to glide along @ 20-24 kts without even pushing the motor at all; should last a lifetime!

Thumbs up

Charlie.

Good call by using Tony. I wish I had the cash to go that route. You will be pleased with the 315. Take lots of pictures, if you can get up there frequently. This is a job I'm very interested in observing.

Good luck.

Bob

Default Progress on re-power of Laura Mei

Progress on repower - so far ...............

"Laura Mei"

Volvo TAMD 41A pulled today

Blige looks pretty good to me!

Slightly used Volvo for sale!

Charley

Charlie. Your pics look exactly like mine did when I removed the 41A from TUNACIOUS. My brother and I did the repower at my work, since we had access to a full machine shop of tools and lifting devices. It will be interesting how Tony works the Blackman engine space and how he runs the exhaust. Have you read the thread on the hynautic steering? I'm curious what you have since we have the same vintage boat in the same configuration.
    Good luck with the repower and keep those progress pics coming.
    Bob

Default Volvo For sale?

Charley,

I just might be interested in your old engine package if you still have it. What is your contact information?

I'm at 949-857-8551. Can anytime before 10:00 PM.

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

I left you a phone message. Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine is selling the engine for me. The ad is on http://boatdiesel.com under "For Sale" His number is:
    Seaboard Marine
    2947 W. 5th St.,Oxnard,
    California, 93030,
    United States
    Tel: (805) 3826287, Fax: (805) 984-3474,

Thanks
    Charley

Charley,

I've known Tony for many years. I've been buying parts from him for a long time. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he is in the shop and talk about your engine.

Are you aware of any problems with it, like low compression?

Thanks

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by saltwaters View Post

Are you aware of any problems with it, like low compression?
    Bill

I have not checked the compression. Engine runs great. Fires right up, smokes some white smoke when cold otherwise runs good. I just want more power.

Charley

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information